Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fuel Fun and Fantasy - Additives

"Notice that the Pentagon bans fuel and oil additives for US Military engines...

If one of those proprietary additives could give a tank or a hummer even a few % increase in service life, the Pentagon would absolutely require its use.. They ban additives instead... Draw your own conclusions..."

denny-o

The gov't over builds many of the machines used for war.. I can see them having a much better engine made out stronger components ad designed for some lack of maintenance. Another problem could be just what you said "additives could give a tank or a hummer " an M-1 Abrams tank has a jet engine, not your average V-8... Just a thought..I am no chemist, in fact, Organic chemistry SUCKED in college..

"Notice that the Pentagon bans fuel and oil additives for US Military engines...

If one of those proprietary additives could give a tank or a hummer even a few % increase in service life, the Pentagon would absolutely require its use.. They ban additives instead... Draw your own conclusions..."

denny-o

The gov't over builds many of the machines used for war.. I can see them having a much better engine made out stronger components ad designed for some lack of maintenance. Another problem could be just what you said "additives could give a tank or a hummer " an M-1 Abrams tank has a jet engine, not your average V-8... Just a thought..I am no chemist, in fact, Organic chemistry SUCKED in college..

Hey,

The government doesn't really build anything. They hire the least cost contractor that has the ability to perform. The Honeywell AGT1500 engine that powers the Abrams tank weighs about 5x as much as a comparable shaft horsepower aircraft engine. It weighs 2,500 pounds and develops 1,500 shp.

It will also run on almost any combustible fuel - jet, kerosene, gasoline, diesel - found in the course of battle. It would probably run on a steady diet of fuel additive, in a pinch.

In elementary school, sometime in the '60s, I read that by 1980, all of us would be riding around in vehicles with shaft turbine engines that would go 200mph.

If we didn't realize that fuel was an exhaustable (ahem) resource, we'd probably all be doing that, getting 3mpg.