Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

teleflex problem

Have an '07 23 contender with F250. After having the 200hr service and new zinks (trim tab) installed, the motor is creeping/drifting pretty hard to the starboard. I have to constantly steer slowly to the left to make the boat run straight. The manual says that a possible cause could be dirt in the checkvalves, but doesn't list any more info such as where they are or how to clean them. I'm guessing they are in the help pump?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Was your trim tab anode(zinc) installed properly? There are notches on the underside of the cavitation plate. On my single F250, looking from the rear, the trailing edge of the anode is turned to the right to second notch. This counteracts prop torque so the boat will track straight.

Was your trim tab anode(zinc) installed properly? There are notches on the underside of the cavitation plate. On my single F250, looking from the rear, the trailing edge of the anode is turned to the right to second notch. This counteracts prop torque so the boat will track straight.

Yep, its on the same notch as the last one, though the last one was halfway coroded.

Yep, its on the same notch as the last one, though the last one was halfway coroded.

Maybe now that you have a full size anode it may be over compensating and doesn't need to be turned as far as the old one. I'm just guessing and trying to find an easy fix. It seems odd that the problem began after the 200hr service. Was there any indication of a problem before the service? Could the steering mechanism develop a problem over night? Teleflex cs address is below. I had to contact them a couple of months ago and they responded quickly and were very helpful.

info@teleflex.bc.ca

The manual says that a possible cause could be dirt in the checkvalves, but doesn't list any more info such as where they are or how to clean them. I'm guessing they are in the help pump?

Yes, in the helm pump. Repair is not difficult, just fiddly. Parts are inexpensive; o rings and such