Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Engine Cutting Out?

Gents,

I have a 91 31 Open with twin 454's, I have noticed the voltage to be kind of low when trolling on the port side engine. Recently the port side engine has started to cut out, as if some just turned the key off, it will start right back up no problem. I had the electronic sensor/module in the distributor changed and it still does it. We have tried a different coil and it stills does it. The mech thinks it is likely the alternator causing the low voltage and that is causing the engine to cut out.

Today I started the port engine and it was idling fine, (after being plugged into shore power and the battery was being charged) I disconnected the positive lead to the battery and it stalls right away. I did this to the starboard engine and it continued to idle fine. Does anyone have a opinion or advise here??? Does it sound like an alternator issue??

Thanks

Gents,

I have a 91 31 Open with twin 454's, I have noticed the voltage to be kind of low when trolling on the port side engine. Recently the port side engine has started to cut out, as if some just turned the key off, it will start right back up no problem. I had the electronic sensor/module in the distributor changed and it still does it. We have tried a different coil and it stills does it. The mech thinks it is likely the alternator causing the low voltage and that is causing the engine to cut out.

Today I started the port engine and it was idling fine, (after being plugged into shore power and the battery was being charged) I disconnected the positive lead to the battery and it stalls right away. I did this to the starboard engine and it continued to idle fine. Does anyone have a opinion or advise here??? Does it sound like an alternator issue??

Thanks

Dave..replace the battery for starters. If the alternator is charging a bad battery it will show low voltage. I assume you have 4 batteries on that battleship so switch a couple around and see if the problem goes away. If it does...its most likely that battery on the way out. If the alternator is working it is most likely not your problem, it just cant keep up to a bad battery or a draw somewhere in your system.

CF

Check your battery with a voltage draw meter and see if it is o.k. But there is a problem with the alternator on that engine. When you disconnect the battery lead with it running. The alternator should be able to produce enough power to sustain life to the engine.