Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Where do you find a wife like this?

Yesterday a friend (ex boss) asked me to help him launch his new boat that was to be delivered that afternoon.

The boat is a Sea Ray 315 Amberjack.

He doesn't have a licence and has never driven a boat.

His wife bought it for him - arranged the transport and everything.

While I only took it for a very quick spin around the marina it seems to be a very impressive boat.

Twin petrol IB with Bravo 3 drives makes it very easy to handle.

Are there any issues to be aware of with these boats?

post-2317-1248148282_thumb.jpg

post-2317-1248148158_thumb.jpg

The only problem is we have a new owner of a really nice boat with zero boating experience... Moving up the steep part of the learning curve with that boat is going to be expensive... Give him as much help as you can... Maybe she can spring for a hired captain to go with him for the first ten trips - money well spent...

I am not denigrating the guy, he just doesn't know what he doesn't know... Is the required safety equipment and a waste and black water written plan on board, etc... Does he know what one horn versus two means? Can he read the buoys? Does he understand the differences between intercoastal rules and ocean rules? Can he dock in a cross wind from one way and a 90 degree current from the other? and on, and on... I did not know all this either for the first boat, but luckily it was a 26 foot sailboat which made the groundings, etc. low speed and low dollar events... A fist full of dollars and decades of experience later my knowledge has improved (errr, at least I hope it has)...

denny-o