Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Advice with rudder modification

I have a 25' Kencraft Buxton, single straight shaft inboard....I'm looking to get better maneuverability--especially in reverse!--and, I've thought a bit about making my rudder longer (bow to stern) by having a piece welded onto existing rudder. Is this a good idea? Will this give me better control either in reverse or forward?

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Thank you,

Tom

Rudders are designed with a certain amount of balance. That is, there is some rudder forward and some aft of the rudder shaft, usually biased aft. Adding surface area aft of the shaft will undoubtedly make for more effort in steering the boat when going forward. You may not feel the added effort due to mechanical advantage of the steering system but it will be there.

Most of rudder response in power boats is due to the accelerated water flow over the rudder from the prop. Small increases in surface can result in large increases in steering response.

Handling in reverse will most likely not improve significantly. Just compare the size of a sailboat rudder to a powerboat rudder and you can visualize the surface area needed for a rudder in low speed water, i.e. a powerboat in reverse.

With all that said, your boat may or may not have enough rudder. You may want to talk to the builder about this before proceeding.

I have a 25' Kencraft Buxton, single straight shaft inboard....I'm looking to get better maneuverability--especially in reverse!--and, I've thought a bit about making my rudder longer (bow to stern) by having a piece welded onto existing rudder. Is this a good idea? Will this give me better control either in reverse or forward?

Thank you,

Tom

Bow thruster! I have a 25ft Carolina classic straight in board and the thruster makes it easy to back in to a slip. I know that it can be done with practice, but I can't seem to get enough practice time. I tend to get flustered if I can not get it backed in first or second try but using the thruster I can get it in no problem. I understand I am not much of a man/ boater because I rely on a thruster :rolleyes: But if the technology is there for me to use I will.

Bow thruster! I have a 25ft Carolina classic straight in board and the thruster makes it easy to back in to a slip. I know that it can be done with practice, but I can't seem to get enough practice time. I tend to get flustered if I can not get it backed in first or second try but using the thruster I can get it in no problem. I understand I am not much of a man/ boater because I rely on a thruster :rolleyes: But if the technology is there for me to use I will.

That's an idea......May I ask you how much of an investment the bow thruster was?

Thank you,

Tom

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Most IB boats won't rudder steer in reverse because there's no propwash going by it. To manuver in reverse just get some way with the helm hard over and then put it in forward momentarily with a blip of throttle and you'll kick the stern over, then repeat the procedure untill you're berthed. Adding to the rudder may cause it to grab in reverse and spin the helm, possible injuring you or the steering gear. I'm not familiar with the particular boat you're referring to so it's possible the rudder is undersized but unlikely.