Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Sailfish Pics

I seldom target sailfish, although I sometimes do if nothing else is biting, but whether you target them or not they are so plentiful in the summer in the Sea of Cortez near Loreto that you often catch them whether you want to or not when fishing for marlin or dorado. Here are some photos taken of sailfish before they were released at the boat.

post-2449-1247119748_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247119805_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247119837_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247119868_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247119895_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247119917_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247119940_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247119960_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247119980_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247120007_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247120030_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1247120057_thumb.jpg

Tim...... Loreto has a population of around 15,000. The closest town of similar size on the Sea of Cortez is about 90 miles to the north. It is not unusual to launch early, log over 100 miles, and not see another boat all day until I approach the marina on the way back in. There is a lot of talk of development, and start-ups that fizzle out after a short time, but things are really not changing very fast down here, in particular over the past couple of years.

Tim...... Loreto has a population of around 15,000. The closest town of similar size on the Sea of Cortez is about 90 miles to the north. It is not unusual to launch early, log over 100 miles, and not see another boat all day until I approach the marina on the way back in. There is a lot of talk of development, and start-ups that fizzle out after a short time, but things are really not changing very fast down here, in particular over the past couple of years.

Gee thanks Bill how is the fishing all year round. And the weather a lot like southern Cal just a little warmer . I make and sell lures for a living and have no strings attached to me .My mouth waters just thinking about it.I moved from the West Coast I sure would move back for that

I have a friend down in Cabo that bought a lot of lures from me and owns this Co. http://www.hi5lures.com/ He even came to Oregon to see me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snorkeling Calm cystal clear waters in the Sea of Cortez. You can see large reef fish in nearby Isla Coronado . There are several adventure and snorkeling outfits base in Loreto.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fishing Excellent fishing in the Sea of Cortez put Loreto on the map. It is hard to get to but worth the trip.

Golf One 18-hole golf course

Sailing Calm waters in the Sea of Cortez - many islands and anchorages.

Simple Simple but building up fast

Middle Class Building new Middle class development - Loreto Bay

Summer Great fishing for those who can take the heat

International Airport International airport; AeroCalifornia and Aerolitoral airlines

Weather It is a dry climate - nice in the winter - very hot in the summer (over 100).

Tim,

I've known Kenny for years and usually stop in to see him when in Cabo, if he's around. If he is, I usually come away with a couple of new Hi5's.

Fishing is generally pretty good out of Loreto, which is why I settled here as a home base after spending a year and a half fishing up and down the peninsula. Loreto is known for the world's best dorado fishing in July, and sometimes lives up to its billing, but there are also marlin and sailfish throughout the summer and pretty consistent yellowtail action in the winter/spring. There are also about 10 islands offshore in the Sea of Cortez within easy reach in a day. And it is an easy 2 1/2 hour trip across to Mag Bay with the tuna banks outside in the Pacific. September through December I usually tow my boat across and fish the Pacific Banks for wahoo/marlin/yellowfin, although good fishing for pelagics continues in the SOC through October.

On the downside, it is often windy enough to make fishing out of Loreto uncomfortable December through March. There are fishable days, but there are more days that you just hunker down and wait for the wind to stop. It is a lot like the Florida Keys in that regard. And, it gets hot in the summer. Most of the gringos who have houses here go north for August and September, although if you can deal with the heat some of the best fishing is when it is hottest. Occasionally hurricanes make their way up the Sea of Cortez, but most veer out into the Pacific as they approach Cabo, and the ones that do come north up the gulf are usually reduced to tropical storms or less when they get to Loreto. August through early October it is not only hot, but also humid.

Alaska Air flies into Loreto from the States.

Loreto Bay is the most recent multi-million dollar devolopment near Loreto to go belly up. Not many here are mourning its demise. There are two more start-ups of similar size in the works that will almost certainly meet a similar fate.

Loreto Bay took over an existing golf course when they were flying high and raking in deposits. It is now closed along with the hotels and other LB projects. It is not clear at this time whether the Mexican government will step into the breach and maintain the course, but the clock is ticking and if they, or somebody, do not it will soon revert to desert.

That, in a nutshell, is my take on Loreto. It's not perfect by any means, but fishing is my primary pastime and I've been here for six years now with no regrets.