Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

OMC shifter problem

Hello, I have a 1999 21 ft Hydra-Sport with a Johnson 150 Hp motor. The problem that I am having is that everytime that I shift from forward to neutral or reverse to neutral the motor dies. but when that happens and without moving the shifter from neutral the motor will start up immediatly using the ignition key and will idle with no problem. I have no other ignition problems, just this shifting problem. the shifter is OMC brand. Is there an internal switch that can be easily replaced or is the shifter "shot". Mechanicaly, the shifter works ok. thanks

There is a "limit switch" inside the control mechanism, your neutral safety switch. Yellow w/red stripe wires coming out of both sides. It's main function is to not allow you to start the engine while in gear. Most likely it is sending a signal to the motor when you shift that is mimicing a "start in gear" mode. That's where I would start.

Take this for what it's worth. I never had an I/o but I've heard (from people I believe) that there is a switch that momentarily kills the ignition to lower the rpm during shifting. If this switch is out of adjustment it could be killing the ignition for too long and stalling the motor. Another possibilty is the idle is too low to already. Good luck.

Hello, I have a 1999 21 ft Hydra-Sport with a Johnson 150 Hp motor. The problem that I am having is that everytime that I shift from forward to neutral or reverse to neutral the motor dies. but when that happens and without moving the shifter from neutral the motor will start up immediatly using the ignition key and will idle with no problem. I have no other ignition problems, just this shifting problem. the shifter is OMC brand. Is there an internal switch that can be easily replaced or is the shifter "shot". Mechanicaly, the shifter works ok. thanks

There is a shift interrupter switch mounted to the motor's shift lever but it is probably working fine. Most likely there is stiffness in the engine shifting linkage, bushings, or gearcase and that is triggering the switch.

The easiest way to find out is to disconnect the control cable at the motor and shift the motor with your fingers. If it is stiff or hard to shift manually, then you have to remove the gearcase and find out where the problem is. In salt water envinronments, often the corrosion buildup at the shift rod cover squeezes against the sealing oring for the shift shaft.