Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Yamaha F115 Maintenance 101

We have had this boat a week, and while we tested it I noticed the waterpump was a little weak, not a strong tell tale. Also wanted to spend some time getting used to these motors, so thought an oil change, filters, lower unit oil, waterpump kit and a general clean up and remove some corrosion and rusting of some bolts. Sorry for the quality of the pics, camera was in need of new battery and I really wanted to get done, but chronicle some of this as I went.

After searching many posts, I decided to change the motor over to Castrol Syntec, synthetic. They are long out of warranty, so I don't expect Yamaha to care what I run in it. I am also a car guy,old British roadsters, and have been using Castrol since the 60's.

I also like a clean motor. That's the reason for the brush, WD40, and pics of the flywheel. I also like having a liberal dose of Yamaha marine grease on parts of the motor at the waterline and on some inside parts. Specifically the tilt motor and the mounting bracket. After applying, I wipe off the excess, but like a liberal film. I dont use silicone, i use WD40 inside my motors. My first new motor, an '86 Yamaha 90 served me well for 10 yrs. with no electrical or mechanical problems whatsoever. I am a firm believer of a dose of WD and also of running the carbs empty as well after flushing the motors. Nowadays I use Salt Away as a final flush.

Here is a photobucket link with titles under the pics...taken in order of repair..

http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll422/t.../Yamaha%20F115/