Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Spark Plugs

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One word of caution I learned from a "Senior Toyota Motor Engineer". Use the same type plug that came with the motor. You will not gain any performance from a high dollar "designer plug". A plug that performs any different than the ignition was designed for will cause engine damage. He claimed, most production engines failures are mostly damaged from using; 1. incorrect gas octane , 2; incorrect (designer plugs), 3; and lack of changing oil.

The ignition controller / computer does not re-computate for change of spark ignition, nor burn rate by octane. (Hope i have relayed this correctly) Stick to OME for best / long lasting performance.

The gas rating I found the hard way using highest rating every 3rd fill up thinking it will clean and burn better. The BMW dealership asked me (years ago) was I using hi-test gas, and they showed me how they could tell. I burned the valves up.

• 2 weeks later...
I rely on www.sparkplugs.com as a guide to pricing and cross refrences.

GP

Ditto! I get my plugs from them as well. The plugs for the E-Tecs are priced high also. The dealer wants around 12.00 each but I got them from sparkplugs.com for 9 bucks and change each.

One word of caution I learned from a "Senior Toyota Motor Engineer". Use the same type plug that came with the motor. You will not gain any performance from a high dollar "designer plug". A plug that performs any different than the ignition was designed for will cause engine damage. He claimed, most production engines failures are mostly damaged from using; 1. incorrect gas octane , 2; incorrect (designer plugs), 3; and lack of changing oil.

The ignition controller / computer does not re-computate for change of spark ignition, nor burn rate by octane. (Hope i have relayed this correctly) Stick to OME for best / long lasting performance.

The gas rating I found the hard way using highest rating every 3rd fill up thinking it will clean and burn better. The BMW dealership asked me (years ago) was I using hi-test gas, and they showed me how they could tell. I burned the valves up.

Hmm, doesn't higher octane burn slower ,thus cooler?I don't really know, but this is what I was told by a mechanic.

Hmm, doesn't higher octane burn slower ,thus cooler?I don't really know, but this is what I was told by a mechanic.

My understanding of octane is it is the propensity of the gas to ignite earlier. This does NOT mean burn hotter, cooler, larger 'burst' but just that it takes less energy to start the ignition of the fuel. Higher octane combusts earlier given the same energy (spark) to ignite the fuel. So using higher octane will actually advance the ignition timing in engines to a small degree.....But I'm no mechanic..Can someone confirm?