Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

LED Nav lights

I am considering upgrading the nav lights on the boat and figure LED is the way to go for less power draw and maybe a longer life.

I was looking at Atwood lights. I will want two bow lights and an all around anchor light.

I see Atwood has a little indicator on the top of the bow lights to make it easy to see if they are on, I definitly like that idea. They are certainly pricesd right but that may or may not be a quality indicator.

Anyone have any experience with these or others that I should look at?

I am looking for brighter as first priority, long lasting and easy to install.

These are ones I had seen

post-2392-1246051384.jpg

post-2392-1246051394.jpg

post-2392-1246051402.jpg

i saw something even cooler this morning on my way offshore. a deep impact had a green and a red colored led bar on each side of the t-top, looks pretty slick. you could probably pick up those seamaster lights for $40 a piece, they are pretty bright too.. wish i had a pic!

Those Atwood do look pretty neat with the indicator on top. Hella also makes some similar ones, but they don't have the indicator on top. Take a look at the Hella Marine line, we use them alot and have had very good luck with their quality.

The ones eliteftaud mentioned are really slick looking, SeaVee uses them as well, but they have to be molded into the T-Top. You can't just use a couple of SeaMaster strips for NAV lights because they would not meet the USCG 2NM rating.

I installed those exact lights last year. The main reason I chose these (vs the Innovative LED brand or others) is due to the fact that they were an exact fit for the recess that housed my existing Attwood lights.

The small indicator lens on the top is very nice, and helped me realize that my port light quit working just a month or two after it was installed. Wiring was fine, it just quit working. I called Attwood and they sent me a new one immediately, only asked that I send back the old one (at no charge) so that they could figure out what happened.

So all told I'm very happy with the lights and the service. Second or third time that I've seen Attwood step up like that.

I installed those exact lights last year. The main reason I chose these (vs the Innovative LED brand or others) is due to the fact that they were an exact fit for the recess that housed my existing Attwood lights.

The small indicator lens on the top is very nice, and helped me realize that my port light quit working just a month or two after it was installed. Wiring was fine, it just quit working. I called Attwood and they sent me a new one immediately, only asked that I send back the old one (at no charge) so that they could figure out what happened.

So all told I'm very happy with the lights and the service. Second or third time that I've seen Attwood step up like that.

Thats great to hear. I placed the order today and hope to install this weekend. They are backordered on the all around light so that one will have to wait for another day.

Thanks for the input guys!!!

i saw something even cooler this morning on my way offshore. a deep impact had a green and a red colored led bar on each side of the t-top, looks pretty slick. you could probably pick up those seamaster lights for $40 a piece, they are pretty bright too.. wish i had a pic!

I went on their web site. They do look like cool lights but they say they are not legal for navigation lights since they are not USCG approved. Neat idea though. I would imagine if you already had approved nav lights, adding them would not be against any rules and it would look good and up the visibilitylevel a bit. Although mounted that high up might play tricks on oncoming captain's eyes thinking maybe it is further away than it really is.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I installed the lights pictured above last weekend. They went in real easy, a little soldering and done. The bow lights were the same shape as the originals but just a little smaller. I was able to re-use the original rubber gasket so they end up in the exact same footprint. The all around light is taller than original but that works out perfectly as it will probably be higher than a small radar unit I hope to add some day.

the little indicators on top of teh bow lights are kind of tough to see but the lights now shine color on the the boat to show me they are on clearly enough. The originals didn't put out enough light to even do that. The all around is bright enough without being glaring.

Overall Good products and good price. :605_thumbs_up: