Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

help finding part for OMC Cobra

My mechanic is stumped on finding a Gimbal Housing (also known as an outer transom plate) for a '93 OMC Cobra 5.0L with a Ford engine. Apparently the part is not made any longer, and no aftermarket company is making it.

Any suggestions on how I can track one down? My best try...Doug Russel Marine in Massachusetts, came up empty.

Here is what I know about what I need so far:

1) there are different models for the Cobra 5.0L with a Ford and with a Chevy engine. I need the Ford.

2) the OMC part # may be 0986718 (cannot verify that this is the Ford #, but I think it is)

3) it MAY be the same part as Volvo 3858914 (again, cannot verify the Ford issue)

4) I am willing to take a used on (in good condition) if that is all I can do.

Any suggestions ???

do you have a pic of what you need? i have 2 complete cobra outdrives sitting in the yard send me a pic mabey I can help :605_thumbs_up: Doug

After further clarification with my mechanic, I now understand I need a complete external transom assembly, not just the external transom plate itself. That involves the 3 major cast AL pieces that make up the gimbal housing.

Loosechange: I do have pictures of at least what it all looks like from the outside of the transom. If you email me at Abter1 at yahoo dot com (that is a "one" at the end of Abter, not a letter L) I will send pictures.

I also found that there is casting number clearly visible on the stern-most portion of the transom assembly. The OMC part # in the outermost piece of the transom assembly is 914569 R. There is probably another cast part # on the boat side of the transom assembly, but I can't see that at this time (still on boat, although engine is out and the stern unit has been taken off).