Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Diminishing Returns

So I am in a quandry, I have a little 20 CC Hydra Sports Vector that we use to bash around the bays and coastal areas in, heck, even take it to the river. Anyway, boat and trailer are in excellent shape (shes a 92') Nice electronics etc. Anyway, she has a tired (but reliable) thirsty Johnny 200 Carby motor. It is clear than I will be unable to actually kill this moror in my lifetime. But, I am just tired of the noice, smoke, and HORRIBLE fuel burn.

So here's the actual question, is a repower a silly idea on such a "low value" boat. I thought a 175 Suzu might be perfect, but a 10K plus motor on that boat makes it, i would reckon, a 10K boat!

Let the rational minds prevail. Thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am in a quandry, I have a little 20 CC Hydra Sports Vector that we use to bash around the bays and coastal areas in, heck, even take it to the river. Anyway, boat and trailer are in excellent shape (shes a 92') Nice electronics etc. Anyway, she has a tired (but reliable) thirsty Johnny 200 Carby motor. It is clear than I will be unable to actually kill this moror in my lifetime. But, I am just tired of the noice, smoke, and HORRIBLE fuel burn.

So here's the actual question, is a repower a silly idea on such a "low value" boat. I thought a 175 Suzu might be perfect, but a 10K plus motor on that boat makes it, i would reckon, a 10K boat!

Let the rational minds prevail. Thoughts?

I would spend the money and repower. Trouble free operation for the next 5 years. Fuel saved. If you decide to sell you will recoup some of your investment. If not, quieter, more efficient less repairs!!

Basically, it comes down to peace of mind. If you want a new motor that will run smoother and quieter, but most importantly you won't have to worry about it leaving you stranded, then by all means go for it. Especially if you are planning to keep it for a number of years.

However, there is no way to justify it financially. Like seavee1 said, you won't save enough in fuel by a long shot and your boat just won't be worth that much more.

If you like your Hydra-Sport and plan on keeping it repower if you want something different now is the time to start looking .

If you ask 50 people you will get 50 different answers , do what makes you happy . If my yamaha would kick the bucket I would surely repower but don't drop your hp you will not be sastified

You say Johnny is tired but reliable, so how much gas will $10,000 buy? What about a rebuild to bring the power back so you can back off the throttle a little and save fuel that way, might be something to check into.

You could also consider a used 4 stroke motor - they are out there if you look around and you can save a few $$. Another option is to find an older boat that has been repowered - Buy it and swap motors and resell that boat - Many people have done this to get newer power on the cheap.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.