Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fathers Day Slam!

At o-crap:30 AM I woke my son for our first father son Flamingo trip. We have gone with friends but this was the first time it would be just us.

Boat was prepared the night before so the morning routine was brief. With one notable exception. I have kicked the caffeine habit. :o

So we loaded the truck and headed down to "mingo". Luckily the Big "D" slept for most of the ride down to Don's Bait and Tackle.

We loaded up on some shrimp and chatted a bit with Ashley. He helped to direct us to a brilliant day of fishing. THANK YOU!

The summertime ramp routine was in full effect. One wants to limit one's ramp time exposure lest one looses all their blood to the swarms of winged vampires.

"D" and I seated ourselves on the boat and the old 2 smoker Johnson 115 roared to life and the Egret was off.

Made our way to the first spot. Ride was a bit sporty but the D-Man liked hopping from wave to wave. The Garmin with Weather by XM told me we had limited time to make our game plan happen. A cell of ugly weather would be upon us in less than an hour.

Baits in the water and no sooner the first fish was being fought. Trout... then Red... then Snook! How about that in less than 20 minutes Big "D" had his first ever slam. Pictures taken, high fives (well honestly low five but to a five year old it was a high five) Baits back in the water and pow, trout! Then the snook army showed up with one feisty volunteer after another testing Big "D's" fish catching mojo!

But weather and prudent minds necessitated a move. Once again the old 115 Ocean Pro Johnson roared to life and we boogied out before mother nature could unleash her fury.

Spot two was a typical non desrcript shoreline much like miles and miles of other ones. Bait was prevalent and predators were on the hunt. Big "D" landed a big red to top off his day with a double slam! And a few of the fish were cast to and hooked up all by himself. One proud Papa I am!

The heat of the day started to weigh in and it was time to make our way back. As a congratulatory gift I let Big D run the boat back to the marina, under the ever watchful eye of one beaming papa. My little man is starting to grow up and I could not be prouder.

We had one last stop to make the day perfect. Shakes from "Robert is here". According to a sign in the old black Model T, it seams that Harold ( i believe that is Robert's father) past away this morning. Take each moment you have with your children and cherish it. Our time here is limited.

"“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -- Mark Twain

DSC_3417.jpg

DSC_3422.jpg

DSC_3424.jpg

DSC_3430.jpg

DSC_3431.jpg

------------------

This morning I got an email from ESPN Outdoors.com. They picked up my post and wanted to put an article on their site. As you can imagine I was super stoked!

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/index Click on Digress

Or link to the story click here.