Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

just out of curiosity

I hear them term blown powerhead all the time, what exactly is considered a powerhead? if a 1 out of 4 cylinders has no compression does that mean a complete rebuild is needed or can a new piston and rings be installed if the wall looks good?

Powerhead is the power producing part of an outboard engine. Like a small block chevy with the transmission and engine accessories removed.

You can do a 1 cylinder rebuild in some cases. Should you in my opinion? No. All four pistons and rings are not a bank account buster.

Throwing four new pistons in a 2-stroke without determining what caused the problem is foolish. What causes most 2-stroke problems you ask? Lean burn condition. Neglect that fuel system and you'll toast the newly rebuilt powerhead in short order.

Check the oiling system as well...

top335blue.jpg

LOL...Here's a video of a powerhead doing it's stuff (wow...videos, not all boating forums have this nice little feature)

Disclaimer: I am not even a good shade-tree mechanic..... I can troubleshoot a bit, though.

There are a number of things that can keep you from having compression on one cylinder, including but not limited to:

1) stuck ring(s)

2) heavily scored cylinder wall

3) blown (seriously blown) head gasket

4) hole in side of cylinder

I would think that the second two would be easy enough to determine without tearing much down. The first two may take a look inside the engine with a scope or head removal. I would definitely look at all possibilities and engine history before removing important pieces.

I would would call a hole or mangled large metal pieces a "blown power head". I don't know what a mechanic would consider a blown power head. It is a fairly loose term on the boat forums.

If you have 0psi compression on one cylinder, I would be suspect of other issues (carbs for one). I would find out why there is no compression before deciding on my course of action. If it is a stuck ring, you MAY be able to free them without opening the engine. If you have to take the motor apart, I would go over it with a fine tooth comb and replace anything that I felt could be a weak link. There is no point in tearing a motor down and not replacing a few dollars worth of parts while you have the chance to maybe save some effort later.

Ludicrous:

While any of those motors should work fine in my boat, I think that I NEED that 3.3L!!! :wub: I love the sound of a well built motor (before it breaks!)

Can I reuse these???

post-15-1245450395_thumb.jpg

post-15-1245450400_thumb.jpg

:471_confused_face:

Again, I'm not a mechanic. However, I think with a little emory cloth that piston will be almost like new. I doubt that you were seeing much compression loss before you pulled that one out. It looks like one of those new asymetric multi-hemi pistons that use partial rings to keep the compression from getting too high.

If I'm wrong on that guess, then I am certainly glad that didn't come out of any motor I've ever operated :2261_high: