Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Dead Whale = Dorado

Last week about 30 miles out of my home port of Loreto, Mexico I came across this dead ###### whale calf. There was not another boat within about ten miles and it was holding hundreds of dorado. I called a couple of friends who were fishing that day, but they were too far away to respond. After an hour or so and a dozen dorado caught on a trolled marlin feather, I returned home with two nice fish in the box including this 44 pounder.

post-2449-1245079909_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1245079934_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1245079955_thumb.jpg

post-2449-1245079978_thumb.jpg

Tim..... Bloated as it was, it was standing high in the water and I could see it from about a mile....and smell it from about a quarter mile.

I ran into one of those carcasses a couple of years ago and will never forget the smell. :wacko:

I posted the pics on the "other" forum then. Strangely enough there were no fish whatsoever around or underneath the carcass itself. They were all about 50-100 yards off the tail and a true mixed bag. We got schoolie yft, dorado, wahoo and rainbow runner by the bucketful. The most interesting thing was that every time we hooked a fish they were always being chased by small (3-4ft) sharks. There were no really large fish around the carcass at all even though there was a free buffet on hand for them.

I ran into one of those carcasses a couple of years ago and will never forget the smell. :wacko:

...Strangely enough there were no fish whatsoever around or underneath the carcass itself. They were all about 50-100 yards off the tail and a true mixed bag. We got schoolie yft, dorado, wahoo and rainbow runner by the bucketful...

They couldn't stand the smell either. :blink: