Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

400 Verados

We are reaching the limits of lower unit reliability. Even big Merc Bravo I/O units are only good to about 400hp and they are much beefier than an outboards lower unit. Sure, you can make the lower units bigger and stronger but then the HP is wasted in drag. I would imagine we are very close to the point where an increase in hp would be offset by an increase in lower unit drag to handle that power and the result would be wash. The Merc Verado 350 may be a perfect example of that.

I would agree with the lower unit thing, its always the weak point when making HP. Just like in cars the rear end is usually the weakest link.

There are racing lower unts that can handle massive HP but these are massive surface piercing drives ard are super expensive.

This will take 1200 HP

drysumpsix_med.png

I agree. I don't think there are many LU's that can handle much more than the 350 hp that is available. This is why there have been issures on the LU's. That said once a LU is designed that can handle all of those ponnies then we will see outboards up to and maybe even more than say 500hp.

I have a baby Verado and love it the best outboard I have ever run. :605_thumbs_up:

Dave,

Great to see you here! Question. What prop are you running? THX, got an issue with another boat, 21 Proline, 150 Vrod. :605_thumbs_up:

Yeah Bob you too. I answered you on the prop thread but I'll tell you here as well. I run a 19" Tempest for my boat it is the best I have run on it. You might try a 19 and see what your WOT is. Your boat is 3 feet longer than mine and I don't know about weight. Just make sure you get around 6200 or so the range on Verado is 5800-6400.

I'm sure you will love the Verado I know that I do :239_fishing: