Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Good boat theft story

It is about time that someone got there boat back, I had an old Midnight

that i bought in Miami, and the boat was at a friend of mine, who was going

reinstall electronics on her before I brought her to Mobile, she got stolen

from his house as he was sleeping and did not hear a thing, this happend

of of 177th you talk about being mad

It might be a good idea to run a chain through one or more wheels and lock to the frame of the trailer.

No doubt he did, along with a tounge lock. But down here thats like putting a sign on the boat that says "free boat".

You need much more than just chains. Chains are easy to get around. They send a couple of "lock rats" out to the boat a few days early to disable the locks and chains. Then they return to take the boat and there is nothing to do but hook up and go. This boat was most likely cased weeks before the theft and the locks removed days before the theft.

These days you need the locks and much more. A GPS tracking devise, some kind of loud siren if someone walks near the boat, motion flood lights, security cams....ect.

Its a real problem down here. You wouldn't believe what we pay for insurance just because of the theft. It used to be that the top speed of the boat determined how expensive the insurance was.

Now its the size of the boat, amount of engines and location. Location being the major factor.

These days you need the locks and much more. A GPS tracking devise, some kind of loud siren if someone walks near the boat, motion flood lights, security cams....ect.

I've found that a very hungry, pissed off 'gator living in the cockpit makes a pretty good deterrent.

Beyond that, it's strictly luck. If they really want to steal it, they will; it might take them a while, but they will get it. No two ways about it. :1925_: