Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

ADDING FRESH WATER

What I do is as I am coming back into the marina, I have about a 10-12 min no wake zone,

my crew will get all the rods down and place them on the aft and wash them down, with my on board fresh water, after that they begin working forward towards aft, when we get to the marine they hook up to the water there, finish cleaning the boat, then top off the fresh water tank at the end. This way the water in the tank stays fresh and we are ahead of the game by the time we reach the dock. My tank is either 15 or 20 gal, but you would be surprised as to how far that goes.

Big O

As a part of my rebuild, I am adding a fresh water tank. Does anyone that currently has a fws, use a sender to measure the water, or is it best guess? I know large vessel have them and they are available.

The last two vessels I owned had 15 and 25 gallon FW systems (respectively). Neither had gages to monitor tank levels. As a previous poster indicated, you'd be quite surprised as to how far even 15 gallons of freshwater goes.......as long as you don't flush your (freshwater) toilet 12 or 15 times per trip.

The first boat, a Wellcraft 248 Sportsman, came from the factory equipped with a 15 gallon fresh water tank, just to feed a hand-pumped wash basin in the galley. I added an electric pump and an accumulator tank, and then ran a hose off a tee to the cockpit, adding a freshwater wash-down and cockpit shower. I felt as if I were living in the lap of luxury :rolleyes:

The last two vessels I owned had 15 and 25 gallon FW systems (respectively). Neither had gages to monitor tank levels. As a previous poster indicated, you'd be quite surprised as to how far even 15 gallons of freshwater goes.......as long as you don't flush your (freshwater) toilet 12 or 15 times per trip.

The first boat, a Wellcraft 248 Sportsman, came from the factory equipped with a 15 gallon fresh water tank, just to feed a hand-pumped wash basin in the galley. I added an electric pump and an accumulator tank, and then ran a hose off a tee to the cockpit, adding a freshwater wash-down and cockpit shower. I felt as if I were living in the lap of luxury :rolleyes:

The tank I added is 20 gallons and used only to drink or washdown the deck. I have no toilet on board.

Steve, none of the three boats I've had with freshwater systems had any kind of monitor. Fortunately, on all three of them, the tanks were located in spots where I could easily get a visual confirmation of how full they were.

Percentage-wise, how far along is the entire rebuild project?

Steve, none of the three boats I've had with freshwater systems had any kind of monitor. Fortunately, on all three of them, the tanks were located in spots where I could easily get a visual confirmation of how full they were.

Percentage-wise, how far along is the entire rebuild project?

Thanks

It seems like most are this way unless there is a tank for grey water.

Stephen...someone mentioned it before, but it's surprising how long that tank of water lasts. Mine's only 15 gallons, and the only time it runs out is when I purposely spray stuff down until it's empty.

That said, one thing that would probably make a gauge worthwhile would be if you had a misting system connected to your fresh water tank, so you could monitor usage and shut it down when needed to leave yourself water.

Stephen...someone mentioned it before, but it's surprising how long that tank of water lasts. Mine's only 15 gallons, and the only time it runs out is when I purposely spray stuff down until it's empty.

That said, one thing that would probably make a gauge worthwhile would be if you had a misting system connected to your fresh water tank, so you could monitor usage and shut it down when needed to leave yourself water.

The admiral saw a shower system at the Miami Show. that she wanted. It was basically a "shower" head that mounted to the T-Top. We had one of those misting systems in Iraq, they worked great.

My tank is a twelve gallon one and is connected to basically a shower head sprayer on a long hose. I use it for rinsing the kids off after swimming and I usually rinse all my tackle and rods off when fishing. I've never run it empty while using it, I think I could run it continually for ten minutes or more on this tank. Since my boat is just an open bow rider style having water is not crucial for running anything, so running out doesn't matter and no gauge is needed. I do keep the tank clean and add a little bleach in the spring and run a few tanks of water through it. That way if I ever got stranded off shore I would have water on board that was drinkable if needed.