Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

First Aid Kit

Most first aid kits are for at home and on-shore use

What do you need special for on the water use . . . other than what is in the typical high quality first aid kit you have at home or in your car?

Pliers/tools to remove hooks stuck in you . . . and an instruction sheet

Pain killing cream for serious sun burns

What else?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most first aid kits are inadequate. Knowing what to do is the big problem. Go take a course and get certified:

American Red Cross

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/men...nextfmt=default

Emergency First Repsonse

http://www.emergencyfirstresponse.com/english/

Let's say you come across a boating accident, 1st person is not-breathing, unconscious and no other visible injuries, the 2nd got thrown out and has a prop hit to the leg-massive bleeding, the 3rd is unconscious but breathing and several small lacerations. Which one do you (your alone) give first aid to first???

Is this a test? If so, then for everyone's edification I'll take a stab at it.

First #2

Second #1

Third #3

1, 2 (conscious but bleeding), 3. The best first aid kit in the world won't help unless you know how to perform 1st aid/CPR. I'm no EMT but could give a situation like the one above my best shot...even with no first aid kit. A t-shirt or towel would work in a pinch. The second patient may be able to apply direct pressure himself while you treat #1 (open the airway and get him breathing).

This is a good topic, one I obviously haven't spent enough time thinking about.

I guess it would come down to a judgement call.

I was thinking get a rope or belt on the bleeder and then I could focus all of my time and effort performing CPR without worrying about #2 bleeding out.

OK . . . you need to know what you are doing . . . good point

However, part of being able to respond is being prepared by having the right stuff in your first aid kit

What should be in that kit

PS:

First Aid Instructor, current

CPR instructor, current

First Aid Kit . . . needs to be updated :)

I like to have at least 3 Army style field dressings. Most first aid kits lack a very useful bandage for a large bleeding wound. The Army style dressings can be tied in various different ways.

US Army Field Dressing

http://www.ahsrescue.com/p-1038-military-field-dressing.aspx

And a CPR pouch hanging on my PFD:

http://www.amazon.com/MASK-SHIELD-BARRIER-...8010080-9270834

Two good to have items. You can always do mouth to mouth and use t-shirts/towels in a pinch.

I like to have at least 3 Army style field dressings. Most first aid kits lack a very useful bandage for a large bleeding wound. The Army style dressings can be tied in various different ways.

US Army Field Dressing

http://www.ahsrescue.com/p-1038-military-field-dressing.aspx

That field dressing looks exactly (almost exactly :) ) like the one I used in a cross-forces training exercise in the jungles of the Amazon in 1989 . . . thanks for reminding me . . . I am going to order some . . . that are so useful !

That field dressing looks exactly (almost exactly :) ) like the one I used in a cross-forces training exercise in the jungles of the Amazon in 1989 . . . thanks for reminding me . . . I am going to order some . . . that are so useful !

The army field dressing hasn't changed much over the years. The dressings are in a heavy duty plastic bag that can be torn open easily. Here's the first aid kit I keep in my ditch bag. Also have two others on the boat. The CPR pouch is at the ready on my PFD. I also have more stuff in my ditch case. (yes I have a case and a bag) First Aid is a perishable skill. It really requires some refresher training every three to six months at least.

001-3.jpg

Big dressings are a good idea. So are CPR facemasks...I'd say a pocket mask is way better than those little keychain things. I carry one, but I cant' imagine ever using it. I'd probably do compression only CPR instead.

Other things: GLOVES!!! roller gauze which I see in the picture above, plastic tape, band aids, isopropyl alcohol, and if you can find it sterile water or saline for irrigation (saline syringes are the best for this if you can get them), Ibuprofen/Tylenol, water, maybe disinfectant, smaller gauze pads....mostly for more minor stuff. A large pair of trauma shears would be good. cold/hot packs. Chewable baby aspirin (has to be chewable). Benadryl (the dissolving strips are best). Something sugary(real suger...no fake stuff) that can be consumed quickly.

A lot depends on where you will be boating and what you will be doing. Nearshore cruising/fishing you can get away with a simpler set of things. large and small dressings and band-aids, face mask, gloves, tape, shears, and benadryl, asprin, and ibuprofen would probably be enough.

Offshore or activities like diving more is better, as long as you have training for it. Eye wash gizmos, occlusive dressings, maybe even basic airway equipment, those eyewash thingies, triangular cravats, even basic spints might come in handy. Where I am one of the dive boats even invested in an AED. Expensive....but they had to use it this year unfortunately....

The chances of using any of these things for the average boater are low except small bandages/ibproufin...but the more serious stuff can prove important.

The most important thing is to get trained and keep up to date. A lot can be improvised in a pinch when waiting for the professionals. CPR is good...first aid is better.

a good example of various kits can be found here:

http://www.coastlineadventures.com/Marine-...edical-Kit.html

Most store bought kits, as states, are far too basic and not suited to any sort of serous emergency. You'd be better buying a box of band-aids for less money and putting the rest together yourself.

and don't forget GLOVES!! You do not want to be worrying about the health status of the person who unexpectedly bled on you....never know...