Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Honda 150 PGM-FI light

Picked up my new boat yesterday and ran it for the 1st time today. Following the break in procedures, everything was fine until I brought the port engine over 3000 RPM. PGM-FI light came on. Looking in the manual this is an EFI light, not a check engine as the dealer has stated. Planning on taking back to the dealer this week, but does anyone have any ideas?

Picked up my new boat yesterday and ran it for the 1st time today. Following the break in procedures, everything was fine until I brought the port engine over 3000 RPM. PGM-FI light came on. Looking in the manual this is an EFI light, not a check engine as the dealer has stated. Planning on taking back to the dealer this week, but does anyone have any ideas?

Did you lose any power or performance in any way?...are you referring to the green light on the throttle base?...mine came on two years ago and lost some power (still made it back to the dock)...turned out to be the engine's computer (CPU I think)...was replaced under warranty...woulda been $1,100.00 out of warranty...Honda had just issued a technical bulletin(not recall) on the issue...I was lucky...only had 3 mos warranty left...other than that, my 150's been flawless since '04....

I didn't lose any power, but I shut the engine down and restarted. There is an audible alarm at one second intervals. I have twin engines and the indicator is on the lower right hand corner of the ingintion switch. I believe that it is a red light. It is the light that is right beside the picture of an engine block. The manual states that it is a PGM-FI malfunction but doesn't go into any more detail. Rather than risk damage to the engine, I shut it down and restarted. It would run fine until I went over 3K RPM then it would come back on. I've got a call into the dealer, but the honda mechanic was off today (go figure). I have been unable to find anything else in the manual covering this light. From what I could find online, it may be a bad 02 sensor. Kind of sucks as this is a brand new motor in it's break in period.

I didn't lose any power, but I shut the engine down and restarted. There is an audible alarm at one second intervals. I have twin engines and the indicator is on the lower right hand corner of the ingintion switch. I believe that it is a red light. It is the light that is right beside the picture of an engine block. The manual states that it is a PGM-FI malfunction but doesn't go into any more detail. Rather than risk damage to the engine, I shut it down and restarted. It would run fine until I went over 3K RPM then it would come back on. I've got a call into the dealer, but the honda mechanic was off today (go figure). I have been unable to find anything else in the manual covering this light. From what I could find online, it may be a bad 02 sensor. Kind of sucks as this is a brand new motor in it's break in period.

I can imagine your frustration w/a brand new motor...hope this is the only problem you have and once corrected yours is as satisfying as mine has been...if your dealer has a good Honda tech, you won't need to, but if he can't get to the bottom of your problem, have him get in touch w/your regional Honda Factory Tech...but as said, you probably won't need to...just keep that in the back of your mind...

Took to a honda dealer in Stuart FL today who checked it out for me. Ran some diagnostics and believes it to be loose connections from the set up. They were getting a knock sensor and a second alarm. After tightenting the connections, they could not get it to repeat. Taking the boat out Friday - so we'll see!!

Took to a honda dealer in Stuart FL today who checked it out for me. Ran some diagnostics and believes it to be loose connections from the set up. They were getting a knock sensor and a second alarm. After tightenting the connections, they could not get it to repeat. Taking the boat out Friday - so we'll see!!

Good luck w/it...was that the same dealer that did the original set-up?...

Let us know how it goes... :605_thumbs_up:

No. The original dealer is in Dania Beach FL - about 60 miles away from me and with a drive though West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale on 95. I'd much rather take US1 20 miles to Stuart. The original dealer still hasn't returned my call. So much for service after the sale. Guess I know where I'll be taking my boat from now on...