Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Stuck Thrust Washer on F250 Help Please!

answer: clean out around washer with a utility knife. soak with pb blaster while lightly tapping with a peaning hammer. Insert very large cold chisel behind washer and against square tabs on inner lower unit. Apply one very light tap and that did it!

Now does anyone know why the grease fitting won't take but about a quarter stroke of grease?

Trying to do my own 200 hr service and can't get the thrust washer off of the propshaft. Gave it a couple light taps with a hammer, but no joy. Is there a trick to this that won't damage the lower unit?

Get something long and metal. I use a 1/2 inch drive pull handle that I take the props off with.

Anyways, as long as its 1 ft or longer your good. Maybe a large crecent wrench, combination wrench, piece of pipe. The longer the better.

Wedge the end of it underneath the thrustwasher, and the bar will be resting on the gearcase housing.

Now just bump your end down with your hand. Don't just "pull" on it, you have to bump it a bit to "pop" it off there.

If it doesn't pop right off, just do it on the other side, and it will come off eventually.

Most likely it will pop off on the first bump of your hand.

Have not had that problem on my Honda , YET, but every time I change oil, my prop and washers get pulled and greased .

ALWAYS be gentle with the lower unit . As a whole unit it is darn tough but trying to remove bits and pieces of it can get as messed up as a Soup Sandwich .