Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Cruise Ship Opinions

I posted this over on THT but I thought I'd post here also and there are people with different opinions.

Hello everyone. My fiance and I are getting married in May 2010 and we are going on a week cruise for our honeymoon. It is the most cost effective trip as we already live in S. FL and won't have to fly anywhere. I like the eastern Caribbean, she likes the western Caribbean (she wants to see the Mayan ruins). As we are still a year out, there is plenty of time but of course we are excited and are looking now. Initially there was only one or two cruises available but now more are coming available. Can you guys give me your opinions on either the cruise company or if you've been on it, the exact ship? The prices are estimates as they could change over the year

Carnival Valor (Western Carribean) ~600pp

Emerald Princess (Eastern Carribean) ~850pp

Celebrity Solstice (Eastern Carribean) ~850pp

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas (Haiti, Grand Cayman, Conzumel & Jamaica) ~850pp

To give you and idea, we will both be 27 when we get married. The Solstice and Freedom of the Seas both appear to be incredible ships but I've heard that Carnival has improved in recent years. My parents went on a Princess and loved it but there also double my age!

Thanks for your opinions!

I don't know about any of those boats, but we went on the Carnival Glory a couple of years ago out of Port Canaveral for the Western Caribbean cruise (Cozumel, Belize City, Port Maya (can't remember the name), and Nassau. We had a good time on the boat, but we didn't take advantage of much of the night life. The staff was wonderful, as was most of the food. There were quite a few families, but they didn't hamper our fun. BTW, we were in our late 30's and left the kids with the grandparents and escaped.

If you go to Belize, you should consider the cave tubing trip and then do the Mayan ruins in Mexico. Some people we talked to on the boat said the ruins in Belize were nice, but the cave tubing was spectacular! Unless you get better leads on a vendor, the snorkeling and clear kayak tour in Cozumel is worth passing for something else and the "history tour" in Nassau is a total waste! We did get to see where you pay your water bill and traffic tickets, though. We also got to see a "nice" neighborhood that happened to look very much like many of our S FL neighborhoods and even had boats in the yard.

Be forewarned....they told us that the average cruise passenger gains 2 pounds per day!!!! We tried hard to stay below the curve, but I was only able to keep it to about 8 pounds on a 7 day cruise!

Chris,

We have done about 15 cruises (almost all with Carnival). I can't speak for any of the others but we have always been happy with the level attention and service and the food is always pretty good to very good. I think you will find Carnival is a little more slanted toward the partying type, whereas so of the others may not be. Explore the website Cruise Critic and get specific info on that cruise ship by prior guests. If you have never been to the Cayman Islands take a cruise that goes there, my favorite....

Hey, at least by posting to THT you'll find out which one sucks the most.

:rolleyes:

Of the ships you mentioned the Solstice and Emerald seem to get the best reviews and are of a 'higher quality" ship than the others.

I do believe the Oasis will be running out of FLL next Summer but it's a monster of a ship. ReelBoating member Ludicrous will be on it in Jan.

I personally like the western carribean but avoid Labadee. This is where a good ship pays off - when you stay on it at a Port!

For live cruise discussions you should stop by the InletCam chat room. It's slowed down a bit for the summer but still 20-30 good people with plenty of cruise experience there. Weekdays between 4-6pm seem to be the best times.

http://www.inletcam.com/

By no means am I an expert on cruising, but I have been on 5 and I research the heck out out of anything that I do. I too went on a cruise for my honeymoon. I was 33 and my wife was 32. We went on a Western Caribbean during the inaugural season for the Sea Princess. Great Time - obviously, as it was our first cruise and we went back for more. Since then, I have been on Celebrity, Costa and Royal Caribbean.

First. The ship does make a big difference. Last year went on Royal Caribbean for 9 days out of Virginia to New England and the Canadian Maritime for 9 days. Great itinerary - different. The ship however, was older and run down - it made it less enjoyable. On the other hand I went on the Costa Magica when it was brand n - and the service and food was lousy and that also made it not great. You have to find that "right balance"

I have been on Celebrity several times and in my opinion - they have that "balance" I was an older ship of theirs - the Galaxy and a new ship (at the time) the Millennium. Their ships are gorgeous - elegant and tasteful. their food and service is outstanding. What I especially like about them is that even their "mega ships" - they do not "pack'em in. They said with 2200 passengers where other lines will sail with 3,000 +

In my opinion, Celebrity is a "step above" - reflected in less crowded, better food and better service. My research that I have done reflects the same observations.

On all of the Celebrity trips I have been on, my wife has never even carried her tray from the buffet to the table. There is always a "white-gloved" steward to assist. Other ships - more like a cafeteria

I do beleive the Oasis will be running out of FLL next Summer but it's a monster of a ship. ReelBoating member Ludicrous will be on it in Jan.

Wiley...we need a ReelBoating Tour and photos of this new monster cruise ship. Know anyone that can set that up? Maybe setup a ReelBoating cruise/get together package.

I need a ReelBoating Banner for your Inletcam.com photos too!

:2261_high:

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/

043b-17901-12_Oasis_Of_The_Seas.jpg

078-17906-16.jpg

17905-02_Oasis_Of_The_Seas_bow.jpg

Thanks for the replies and of coarse I get many more opinions on Reel Boating than THT. I think that place is a sinking ship! I like hearing opinions from people who have been on the cruiselines. Of course the decision is ultimately up to us...and who gives the best price :D The Oasis is huge! Is that a sister ship to the freedom? Thank again for all the comments.

Cracker- Your not the only person who has said that Haiti stinks! It must be a place to skip!

Wiley...we need a ReelBoating Tour and photos of this new monster cruise ship. Know anyone that can set that up? Maybe setup a ReelBoating cruise/get together package.

I need a ReelBoating Banner for your Inletcam.com photos too!

If you need an "assistant photographer" on that media tour, let me know.... ;)

The Oasis is huge! Is that a sister ship to the freedom?

The Oasis is a new class. The sister ship Allure of the Seas is being built now also.

Ship Facts

Guest Capacity: 5,400 double occupancy

Gross Tonnage: 220,000

Staterooms: 2,700

Decks: 16 high

Length: 1,184'

Max Beam: 154'

Draft: 30'

Cruising Speed: 22 knots

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/...huaq2?cS=NAVBAR