Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

mystery question: water pump/impeller change

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the silver lining of this story is that i am now proficient at dropping the LU and doing my own WP changes. that was the only maintenance issue i was not doing myself........now i can do it all.....yipee. :1992_beer_cheer:

Good for you MT..I just gave my 2 stroke 150 its new impeller and I was curious what you were going to find. I was not surprised the mechanic started talking more money. One of the reasons I do as much as I can to my motor...

A very simple fix and something I routinely do with every water pump is to put a small amount of hardening Permatex in the pump body groove, push the O ring in and let it sit for about ten minutes. Then assemble. The O ring always stays where it belongs and the Permatex doesn't harm the O ring and is still soft enough to properly conform when tightening the pump housing down on the wear plate.

Here's a little aside for everyone to think about on the subject of impellers. I run twin 1999 Yamaha 130's on my 26 Prokat. Jersey shore in the summer and Stuart Fla in the winter and am running a little experiment on the original impellers. 10 years and I haven't changed them yet. I think they are tougher than we give them credit for.

Here's a little aside for everyone to think about on the subject of impellers. I run twin 1999 Yamaha 130's on my 26 Prokat. Jersey shore in the summer and Stuart Fla in the winter and am running a little experiment on the original impellers. 10 years and I haven't changed them yet. I think they are tougher than we give them credit for.

I hope you drop the lower unit and lube those bolts and the ones to the water pump housing regularly. Don't ask me how I know.

I change mine every other year for cheap money (~$40). I now drop it down and relube all of the bolts involved every year though even though I don't change the impeller.

GP

I just finished my F115's impellers. I did both in a little over 3 hours. My engines were 3 years old and had a little over 400 hours on them. The impellers looked very good and would have been good another couple of hundred hours... When I put it back together I put anti seize on the bolts to the lower unit. I was very happy with the outcome and saved at least 400 bucks on labor if not 500 bucks.

I just finished my F115's impellers. I did both in a little over 3 hours. My engines were 3 years old and had a little over 400 hours on them. The impellers looked very good and would have been good another couple of hundred hours... When I put it back together I put anti seize on the bolts to the lower unit. I was very happy with the outcome and saved at least 400 bucks on labor if not 500 bucks.

I have to do my F115's. Any words of wisdom as to shift linkage, ect. Thanks.