Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What are my rights on the water?

Only time I ever got checked was by Fish & Game in Texas....I had one fish in the box that was a half inch short. I had shot it spearfishing and there was no throwing back, so I just rolled the dice and kept it. The officer measured all the fish and said "this ones a little short" I said he's been on ice....then I looked down the front of my shorts and said "things shrink when they're cold".

He laughed and said to try to measure before I shoot next time, and I was on my way.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cracker (since you are fielding the questions), Is there any state or federal law that requires you to acknowledge that you have a weapon on board?

To answer your question, No not that I am aware of..... Course I would not recommend that as now your credibility is done and they will do a VERY thorough exam of your boat and of you and you will be holding citations for the slightest violation found. But sure lie to the man over weapons.

Also quick disclaimer, I have been out of the Marine Enforcement business for 15 years so take my advice as such, consult your local authorities...

Two old farts on a Whitewater 28?

Glad to read your dad still has it. :605_thumbs_up:

You may want to check out my 2008 28.

It's pretty sweet.

ENDO love to see the new ride,Yes he still has it! and scares the hell out of me riding with those guys there about blind and deaf plus I am not used to cruising 40+ For my boat is a 20 knot cruise LOL. They are shipping the boat back this winter to WW to have them do some work on the console and rewire the boat she's showing some age but they repower every couple of years I can tell you that boat has killed more than its share of grouper. :1992_beer_cheer:

Funny story they were being chased down by the FWC in a mako cc one time for 16 miles. FWC didnt catch up till them till they were washing the boat down in the marina. FWC was pissed but my Dad never even saw them they running 50 something on flat calm day so FWC never got close..LOL

To answer your question, No not that I am aware of..... Course I would not recommend that as now your credibility is done and they will do a VERY thorough exam of your boat and of you and you will be holding citations for the slightest violation found. But sure lie to the man over weapons.

Also quick disclaimer, I have been out of the Marine Enforcement business for 15 years so take my advice as such, consult your local authorities...

I am not advocating this approach and I am certainly not saying lie, I was only inquiring if it was legally required of an individual to do so in florida.

I am not a florida resident and floridas laws would have little/no bearing in louisiana, I was just asking. The majority of the time that I am stopped on the water by the LDWF, I am duck hunting and they assume that everyone is armed. In fact, I do not ever remember even being asked except one time I was on a preserve and completely forgot that I had an old .22 in my tackle box but that is a different situation and during the Katrina aftermath which is also unusual.

I am not advocating this approach and I am certainly not saying lie, I was only inquiring if it was legally required of an individual to do so in florida.

I am not a florida resident and floridas laws would have little/no bearing in louisiana, I was just asking. The majority of the time that I am stopped on the water by the LDWF, I am duck hunting and they assume that everyone is armed. In fact, I do not ever remember even being asked except one time I was on a preserve and completely forgot that I had an old .22 in my tackle box but that is a different situation and during the Katrina aftermath which is also unusual.

Bsmit,

Sorry if the use of the term lying upset you, but when you ask if you are required to "acknowledge that you have a weapon on board" that to me implies you have been asked, so if you choose not to respond that is the same as responding incorrectly isn't it??? it is not the truth?? Oh well, I hope this helped out some of you with questions..

Bsmit,

Sorry if the use of the term lying upset you, but when you ask if you are required to "acknowledge that you have a weapon on board" that to me implies you have been asked, so if you choose not to respond that is the same as responding incorrectly isn't it??? it is not the truth?? Oh well, I hope this helped out some of you with questions..

Cracker,

To clarify, I do not consider willfully making false statements ie lying and refusal to answer a question to be the same thing and this is the case in most jurisdictions.