Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Mercruiser 5.0 Carb'd - Bogging

Looking for some advice for trouble shooting my 2004 5.0 Mercruiser....Idles fine, but won't accelerate...try to coax it by working the throttle and it boggs and "pops" (no backfire yet). When I try to accelerate, I can hear the carb jets making a sucking sound...

Would like to check for the "simple" stuff before sending it to a mechanic.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks to all for their input.....After new distributor cap and rotor....new fuel filter and fuel/water seperator, nothing improved.....

I started to suspect a vacuum leak of some kind...so while running on muffs in the driveway, I tried to choke the engine by covering the carb with my hands....no change.

Turns out the darn hose to the pcv valve had somehow come undone. Reconnected and running smooth as silk....I must of knocked it loose somehow when winterizing last fall although is was running fine when I choked her down with fogging oil. Hard to notice a black hose, black pcv valve and black engine.

I feel a little silly after all of this although I did replace some things that were in need.

Thanks again to all for your imput/advice.

• 2 weeks later...