Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

140 4 stroke Johnzuke Fuel issue

I have a 2005 Johnson 4 stroke. I been Having some primer bulb issues Boat ran fine all 10 trips from Jan.-April, 2 weeks ago I was out and when I took off and the boat planed off it cut off I went and hit the primer bulb it fired right back up and we come in and it run fine at 95% throttle for about a 8 mile run. Got home replaced the Primer bulb and hose and checked water seperator gas was clean. Took boat out twice and everthing ran fine. Went out yesterday boat ran fine all morning made a drift got ready to move boat planed off then fell flat on its face again. Hit primer bulb it wasn't tight but I could feel some gas in it. went about a mile and drifted one more time. Got ready to head in right after boat planed off it cut out again so I slowed down and hit the throttle 3/4 the way and it went nowhere hit primer bulb again ran fine coming in about a 20 min. ride. Well now I need some ideas on what to look for I just replaced the bulb and hose from water seperator to Engine and all filters and engine is serviced reguarly.Hard to Believe I got a another Bad Bulb as it is a Johnson Not the Wal-Mart Brand. Thanks in advance

Guest edgewater225

I agree that it's likely at least partly due to E-10. We've seen quite a few OMC engines with "bad" primer bulbs that went bad after going to E-10.

marineengine.com has some good insight . Look in the Suzuki Forum. Seems to be a problem with the fuel pump getting hot. My 115 does it every now and then. I am pretty sure it is a gas issue. e-10 sucks.

i had a bunch of issues with e10 with my last boat. i had an older boat with older fuel lines that weren't made for e10. as a result, they began to degrade from the inside and would pinch themselves off under load. bulbs and i didn't get along well either.

i also had an issue when i added "fresh" fuel. as i trailered, it would run fine on the muffs in my driveway, but the trailering to the ramp would mix up the fuel in the tank and I would have a tough time getting things started. it was a nightmare.

your engine is a lot newer than mine was (1985 johnson 235) and i would think the hoses and lines are up to e10 standards - it should be written on the hoses.

charlie

I had a similar problem with my 06 suzuki 140 last year. I have two feed lines to my racor, one from the main tank, and one to a short line w/ quick disconect for portable fuel tanks. I recall telling the suzuki dealer about the setup and he said it might cause problems.

Well, sure enough it did. I would run fine at partial throttle, but when I ran the engine up it would fall flat to idle. I'd run back and pump the prime bulb. After doing this a second time I bent over the supplimentary fill line and clamped it with vise grips. Problem soved temporarily. When I got home from that trip I inspected the g/c fitting and the o-ring was cracked, which provided enough of an air-leak to loose my prime. I replaced the q/c and added a s/o valve at the fuel filter/seperator for both fuel supplies. Since that it's been trouble free.