Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Samurai Braid

Red,

Do you know if it's the same as the boat braid without the changing colors? I really like the boat braid. I've got 3 lines spooled with it. I have one spooled with the 55lbs. Only used it once, seems fine.

Gary

Gary,

What type knot are you using for boat braid and did you test it? I spooled 5 reels last year with 70 lb and had knots slip at 25 lbs using a 7 wrap uni knot, I modified the uni and got it to lock in ... boosting it to 45 lbs. A double line uni probably would have worked but the knot would be twice as big. I'm trying Samurai braid for more line capacity on spinning reels, it's advertised as stronger / thinner and this seems to be true after a few tests i've done.

Red

Why Red I use your knot to join my braid to the leader of courese! I've mostly used the 80# (PE8 which is labeled as 100#). I use about 20-25# of drag with no problems. This was for butterfly jigging for AJs and grouper. I've only used the 55# briefly on one trip. I don't remember if I caught anything or not. These are all butterfly jigging outfits and I joint my short (4'-6') leader with red phillips knots.

Gary

Why Red I use your knot to join my braid to the leader of courese! I've mostly used the 80# (PE8 which is labeled as 100#). I use about 20-25# of drag with no problems. This was for butterfly jigging for AJs and grouper. I've only used the 55# briefly on one trip. I don't remember if I caught anything or not. These are all butterfly jigging outfits and I joint my short (4'-6') leader with red phillips knots.

Gary

Glad you're having good luck with the knot Gary, a person should use what he's comfortable with. I also use about 5' leaders for jigging and throwing poppers but I try to keep knot strength up to around the reels max drag in case I have to slow down a hard running fish before he spools me ... in rod holder or by hand.

Red

Albright knot seems to be the key for me putting mono and braid together. I use a 50' ish topshot of mono for shock absorption and so that I can tie and retie easily on my rigs that have braid.

Any Knot connection between any two types of line is sufficient if it's stronger than the reels max drag. I like to test line / knot strength prior to spooling to see if it's adequate for the purpose. A person should use what he's comfortable with.

I know you know this, but I put a drop of superglue on braid knots. nothing slips then.

I like the Idea of thinner,stronger.I do a lot of deep water jigging.

I also use glue on some braids that are not coated / colored, it can't penetrate the waterproof coating for a good bond. I have a new knot I'm testing that holds a good weight test but have to test under actual fishing conditions. I wouldn't put glue on it because it needs to bend when going through rod eyes and on the reel.

73864313.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I know you know this, but I put a drop of superglue on braid knots. nothing slips then.

I like the Idea of thinner,stronger.I do a lot of deep water jigging.

Heck we use Super Glue on everything - braided or mono before cinching the knot tight, put a drop in there. I use it on my tires when I get drywall screws in them. Keeps the tire from leaking until I can repair it.