Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Less Bashing - - - Take the Higher Road

Here's the problem - The definition of "valid reference" or "facts" is far too variable, seemingly more so everyday.

There are plenty of other places to bash on each other over politics or whatnot, even other boating forums as we all know. I see no reason at all why this site shouldn't just flat ban political debate and/or politically motivated jabs and let those who wish to engage in that (myself included) do so elsewhere.

Keep this one focused on what we all enjoy - Boats, boating and the boating lifestyle. :605_thumbs_up:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the problem - The definition of "valid reference" or "facts" is far too variable, seemingly more so everyday.

There are plenty of other places to bash on each other over politics or whatnot, even other boating forums as we all know. I see no reason at all why this site shouldn't just flat ban political debate and/or politically motivated jabs and let those who wish to engage in that (myself included) do so elsewhere.

Keep this one focused on what we all enjoy - Boats, boating and the boating lifestyle.

Rich

Here go we and ALREADY. You opinion that "valid reference" or "facts" is (are) too variable. Good God

what would like to base your responses (or other responses) upon??

Keep this one focused on what we all enjoy - Boats, boating and the boating lifestyle.

Rich

Here go we and ALREADY. You opinion that "valid reference" or "facts" is (are) too variable. Good God

what would like to base your responses (or other responses) upon??

You've missed the point - I fundamentally agree with you. But when talking politics and some other rather contentious issues of the day, how credible a source is (or how "factual" it is) often depends on your particular point of view. Also, how a "fact" is interpreted is often as much a product of how it is presented as what the raw data might suggest. Even purely scientific data is subject to interpretation, and we will generally tend to interpret things and determine how factual they are from our own personal point of view.

Now if we're talking Nav Rules etc. we're looking at a completely different situation, and one that is certainly appropriate since this is a boating site and they are boating related.

Hence my vote for zero politics etc.

Thanks for correcting my typo (is vs. are). I'll take pass on fixing yours.

I would like to weigh in. When, and if, I have responded to a post either in a positive or negative fashion it has been fashioned on FACTS. I truly hope that on this forum that if an individual presents a response to a question or statement that it be based on a verifiable and documentable factual information and not just his or her OPINION, often rendered absent any manner of verification.

Reference to said factual statement should, hopefully, be part of the post. Too many responders often make statements that when

subjected to factual analysis turn out to be devoid of legitimate and verifiable facts. Hopefully this board will not evolve into one that the loudest shouter wins. Let us stick to FACTS and when those facts and/or opinions are legitimately challenged the poster can back up his or her post with a VALID reference. Let us rid ourselves of those windbags that have no way of authentication of their opinions or statements.

Your idea is fundamentally sound, but how do "you" propose to carry it out?

If I try or do something and it worked or not, are you saying I can not tell others about it, unless I have a video of the experience w/ audio to prove it worked or not? Are you suggesting that I/ everyone document everything I/ they do with video and audio in the event I/ they might want to share my/ their experience with others at some point in time down the road? If we all function under your guide lines I would think basically nothing would be spoke of. Heck someone couldn't even say they are so-in-so unless they posted up a valid passport or drivers licence, but hey those could even be doctored in Photoshop.. So where does your theory lie? :471_confused_face:

On the flip side of that coin, I do know for a fact that I have proven to a team of technical white coats that their automotive shop manuals where wrong in several areas. My actions force the manufacture to produce technical bulletin to supplement their manuals. I have done this on three or four occasions. My point is, yes we respect the information that is in print, but that is by no means a 100% guarantee the information is correct 100% of the time. It is only correct until someone steps up to the plate to say otherwise.

In my example above, how would you suggest I go about proving that information is 100% true? How much effort would you have me go through just to prove that information is 100% true? How many times would you expect me or anyone else to go to the ends of the earth to prove what they are saying is 100% true? I know, speaking for myself here, I basically won't be bothered to offer up any information if I had to jump through hoops to make a comment......you'll find very few people would either. So what's left if everyone feels like I do on the subject? I'll tell yah, You have nothing! Everyone has nothing! Nothing plus nothing equals nothing. :504_shrugging:

Is it wisdom or intelligence that allows us to decipher? If man was given ALL the answers when he needs them, then man wouldn't have to learn or know anything. And I guess that brings us back to nothing.

Well put Garrett. I was focused on the bilgey stuff (assuming that's what was being addressed since that's where the worst of it occured), but there has been just as much contentiousness on technical issues, tier's, techniques, etc. where often times there is no 3rd party "proof", only peoples opinions based on their experience/training.

I'm with you. No politics...No bashing, that simple :239_fishing:

Me too. I would like to see Politics and Religion topics totally banned here. That would cut out about 90% of it. Besides, for those people who just cannot control themselves in spouting their opinion on the Presidents latest blurb, there is Freebird's site. Knock down drag out political and religious free for all's are not totally unheard of.

Opinions on outboards, the best kind of glue, trim tabs, fishing techniques...that kind of boaty thing...sure. Everybody knows those are opinions, and usually someone is asking for opinions.