Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Less Bashing - - - Take the Higher Road

For some reason it still amazes me how people will bash a product and not know what they are talking about. And of course the most bashed item on the boating forums is the E-Tec. A new guy on the other site asked opinions on the 150 E-Tecs and 150 Yamahas on a cirtain boat.

And wouldn't you know it someone heavily bashed the E-Tecs right off the bat. The OP asked for opinions, this I understand. But what is so hard about posting about your actual experience instead of what you think reality is based on twisted 2nd and 3rd hand information.

I of course had to respond but I see my responses getting very thin over there.

I just left that "other" forum and commented on Chris' post. Same ol' same ol. Sometimes the posts make you ashamed of owning the brand being touted.....and I saw nothing "positive" (seems to pop up a lot on RB) going on in that thread. Thanks, Gus for some common sense direction for us to head towards.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason it still amazes me how people will bash a product and not know what they are talking about. And of course the most bashed item on the boating forums is the E-Tec. A new guy on the other site asked opinions on the 150 E-Tecs and 150 Yamahas on a cirtain boat.

And wouldn't you know it someone heavily bashed the E-Tecs right off the bat. The OP asked for opinions, this I understand. But what is so hard about posting about your actual experience instead of what you think reality is based on twisted 2nd and 3rd hand information.

I of course had to respond but I see my responses getting very thin over there.

I think the best thing is to ignore those posts, as much as you can. Don't give those extreme comments and commenters any more power than they deserve by responding. Just let them drop on the floor and dry up like a little spill.

I posted a thread over there in January about repowering my Seacat and it actually went very well. Several pages, going through the merits of Optis, yamahas, Etecs and finally Suzukis (which is what I finally got). For the most part it was reasoned informed discussion, although there were a few skirmishes. I changed my mind 3 times in the course of the thread. But the key is to ignore these posts that are obviously biased or agenda driven. When you respond, you just feed the cancer.

Yeah I know, I get nowhere by responding. But when I see people posting absolute untrue BS about E-Tecs I feel I must post the correct information and tell them they are full of crap.

There have been threads where someone that actually has an E-Tec posts about how they don't like it and I leave it alone or I say I'm sorry to hear it. You can't make all the people happy all the time.

But to just spout nonsense about a product that you have never even seen in real life is just silly. And believe me most of those E-Tec haters have probably never even been on a boat powered by one. They are just mad that their favorite engine was sunk in an advertisement.

I am a very open minded person and as much as I like my choice of engine you will not find any posts where I outright bash another engine. I do actually believe that there is an engine to suite everyones needs and I have recomended 4 strokes in some situations.