Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Center console wings

A couple years ago I saw pics on the old site of wings going from the side of the tee top to the gunwale made of plexiglass. It looks like a good idea. They had them on hinges so they could be out to the gunwale or right alongside the console. I've been looking for the thread and can't find it. Any one else remember that or know of anyone who did this and how it worked out?

I made a set years ago for a boat I was working on. I used 1/8" lexan for the wings and 3/8" for the wind screen. I used a web strap, at the top and at the gunnel, with a snap to hold it in place, both opened and closed.

I used a SS piano hinge to mount it. I sandwiched one leaf of the hinge between the wind screen and the back of the front leg, with the hinge continuing down the leg. The hinge came in a 72" length so it ended about 12" or so above the floor. You could add on but the owner thought that was adequate. The other leaf was attached to the wing.

Lots of #6 screws on this project. To mount to the aluminum, predrill all the holes and then tap using a lube stick on the tap. Chuck the tap in a battery drill and go to work.

One thing to look out for is the geometry of the hinge side. The boat I did it on had a tee top with the legs raked back. The wing would want to swing up into the top so i had to cut off a triangular section at the top. I hope you can understand what I mean. I wish I had pictures of it.

The biggest problem was cracks in the lexan where the screws went thru. It's not "unbreakable", like they advertise, if there are penetrations. A friend told me about a plastic hinge that could be glued on after the problems arose. I never looked for it because the boat owner didn't want to bother. I don't know how it would hold up to green water but for spray it was great.

The best part of this project was the fact that you could see thru it without the distortion so common with eisenglass. It would be a good DIY project.

Thanks for the GREAT info guys. I'm going to work on doing that. I have 3/8 plexiglass across the front and eisenglass on the sides. Do you think plexiglass would be ok on the sides or should it be lexan like you did?

Your top shop can make 'em of Eisenglass...my buddy had 'em on his 28' CC and they worked well on long runs to the stream...his fit the sides of the top frame and just swung out to attach at the outter edge of the top and lower edge of the gunwale...