Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

LORAN-C

Believe it or not, I know a lot of guys that are still using loran-c., some exclusively. like me! My xj1's have been bringing me to the fish for near 30 years. I find them to be very accurate. excep for the days that they are screwing around with the signal(maintenance etc.) They've been threatening to shut this down for better than 10 years now. I hope they never do. I love my loran.

I have to agree with you North Coast. I also use my XJ-1 and it is how my mind thinks. I know where the lines are and use a GPS just to save numbers to when I get there. It will be sad to see her go if they finally pull the plug.

Wait till the Chinese decide to flex their muscle by knocking out a dozen sat birds and your fancy, schmancey, GPS just sits there and looks dumb... Bet you will want a jam proof Loran then...

Yeah so the Chinese knock down one of their own weather satellites in 500 mile LEO and suddenly to some the GPS satellites at 10,500 miles are a target, come on, not everybody has come down in the lastest space junk furfy.

Always get a good laugh out of those that claim Loran is jam proof. In any case I suppose who would want to try and jam Loran anyway, only going to affect a few old cruddy old age fisherman :) Like as if Loran is a crictical system!