Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Yamaha Outboard Stuck In Gear

I have a 1992 Whaler with twin 200HP Yamaha outboards. My port engine will not go out of gear even though the throttle clicks into neutral. What should I look for first ? Thanks.

I bet you've got a broken shift cable. Does it start in gear too? Mine didn't I had to get under the console and pull the cable back into place for it to start.

I had one break the plastic piece off that hold the cable in place. As I tried to back down at a rig one morning and it stay'd in forward gear, which caused me to hit the rig! I was lucky because I wasn't going that fast and didn't need to really shower down in reverse to stop the boat. Scared the crap out of me though!

Sounds like the same thing. I didn't notice anything wrong until I came into my slip. I was setting my dock lines when I hit the bulkhead. I looked over at the throttles and both were in neutral so I then looked over the transom at the props and saw the port engine still turning . I'll check the cables first. Thanks.

If it is not the cable you may have an issue with your shift linkage. I had a similiar problem with a '88 Yamaha. Understand it is fairly common for the rod linking the upper housing to the gear case to rust out in that vintage Yamaha.

We have a winner! This is my bet as well. Make sure you use a torch for the power head bolts.

Unfortunately, the change to a stainless shift rod was not made untill 1993...you shoulda waited a year...Actually, on some of the V-4 motors you can change that rod without pulling the powerhead, but all the opthers will need to have the powerhead off to put the new rod in. Good luck!