Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Penn Torque Jigging Rods

Has anyone used any of the penn torque jigging rods? I'm looking at putting together somewhat of an oddball specialized jigging setup. It will be used primarily for rockfish, and I'd like to occasionally target black cod, which run deep, as in 150 fathoms and deeper :rolleyes: I picked out a reel, shimano tld 15, put on some backing and spooled with 500 yds of 30# braid.

Even though I'll be using lighter line, with the extended depth I'll be using heavier jigs than one would typically use for a nominal 20# class setup. I fondled a variety of rods during lunch today, and the penn torques seemed to be the best combination of a light rod, and relativel stiff which is good for this application. I tried the shimano trevala which seemed too limp for heavier jigs, and a few other rods that just didn't have the stiffness I was after. The other rod I'm considering is a seeker inshore blue lighting 20# rod. I have a pair of 40# blue lightings and they are my general purpose saltwater rods.

I have read some reports of people breaking the torque rods, but I can't see me having that problem running 30# line. Any pros and cons or suggestions are appreciated.

I bought and use Trevalas based on input from tackle shops owners I know. They said the Penn would break.

A friend of mine asked me what to buy recently....I said 50-100 Trevala. He bought a Penn.....it has already broken. He owns a Trevala now. Penn is probably a great rod for all I know......just sharing my recent experience.

tight lines.

I bought and use Trevalas based on input from tackle shops owners I know. They said the Penn would break.

A friend of mine asked me what to buy recently....I said 50-100 Trevala. He bought a Penn.....it has already broken. He owns a Trevala now. Penn is probably a great rod for all I know......just sharing my recent experience.

tight lines.

Thanks for the input, I've received other reports of breakage as well.

I've kinda gone over the edge researching the latest in jigging rods and will likely build a pair of rods using Riley blanks.

I've handled some trevala rods as well as other butterfly/jerk crank jigging rods and to me the trevalas seem to have tips that are too soft and too much back bone. I'd thought the torque would work for a specialized application, and they likely would, but it looks like the newer parabolic rods would be a better all around rod.

Thanks for the input, I've received other reports of breakage as well.

I've kinda gone over the edge researching the latest in jigging rods and will likely build a pair of rods using Riley blanks.

I've handled some trevala rods as well as other butterfly/jerk crank jigging rods and to me the trevalas seem to have tips that are too soft and too much back bone. I'd thought the torque would work for a specialized application, and they likely would, but it looks like the newer parabolic rods would be a better all around rod.

yep....that baby (50-100 Trevala) doubles over completely. had a 50 lb amberjack on that little rod and it went completely under the boat.....all i could do to keep it off the gunwale cap. but, it took a licking and is still ticking. all depends on what kind of action you want. you've got some pretty big boys swimming around up there. a stiffer rod may be the ticket for you. let us know how things work out.

I bought one of those penns and it broke before I ever used it. I had a reel on it and line through the guides, I had a buddy hold the line while I gave it a flex,pop! no thanks, I'll stick with the trevallas. As Dan mentioned the xxh trevala should do the job for you.

I don't know if these are still available ,but I picked up this sweet little stick on ebay recently. It is by a company called barefoot(I guess) this thing is 4'10" tiny, thin, light,and strong as hell. it was the heaviest in this series. I jigged a couple 20 lb cod on it recently. It could handle more. I'm tempted to pick up another one.A buddy told me about these. Try putting "barefoot rod" in the ebay search. that's how I found this one.

Has anyone used any of the penn torque jigging rods? I'm looking at putting together somewhat of an oddball specialized jigging setup. It will be used primarily for rockfish, and I'd like to occasionally target black cod, which run deep, as in 150 fathoms and deeper :rolleyes: I picked out a reel, shimano tld 15, put on some backing and spooled with 500 yds of 30# braid.

Even though I'll be using lighter line, with the extended depth I'll be using heavier jigs than one would typically use for a nominal 20# class setup. I fondled a variety of rods during lunch today, and the penn torques seemed to be the best combination of a light rod, and relativel stiff which is good for this application. I tried the shimano trevala which seemed too limp for heavier jigs, and a few other rods that just didn't have the stiffness I was after. The other rod I'm considering is a seeker inshore blue lighting 20# rod. I have a pair of 40# blue lightings and they are my general purpose saltwater rods.

I have read some reports of people breaking the torque rods, but I can't see me having that problem running 30# line. Any pros and cons or suggestions are appreciated.

You might want to check out OTI jig rods. I am setting up a couple 600g rods with Stella 20000SW for tuna jigging. Price point is fair as well.

Thanks for all the input. From the additional research I've done it looks like I'm best off building a pair of rods and then dialing in exactly what I want. I'm thinking about starting off with a couple of Jaws blanks, a JI7603 and JI7604, fit with Alps triangular rod seats, and going with a spiral/acid guide wrap. I just can't seem to decide on guides as there are so many choices.