Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Vhf/gps Antenna Mount

Hi Guys,

I am installing a second VHF in teh boat next weekend. I have one already on the port side and on the starbord side is my GPS antenna mounted using the same type of ratchet style antenna mount. The GPS pod is attached to a 12" section of antenna mast and threaded into the mount

I would love not to have to drill more holes in the hard top. Has anyone seen or used anything that would allow me to mount the antenna mast and the GPS pod on the same ratchet style mount? Maybe a bracket that hold sthe pod off to the side or something?

Just wondering if it is even out there that would save me from having to run a longer wire to relocate the pod or drill more holes.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

I've been looking for something like this for years. I've posted queries on many forums, with no response.

I'm seriously considering designing (and selling) my own...

I did post on another forum(sorry Wiley) and got a few responses. It is the general consenus that it can be done with a bracket that mounts onto the ratchet mount and gets jammed down when you put the antenna in then places the GPS pod a foot away or so but it is not the ideal way to go. A few have said that the GPS pod needs to be 3' away from other antennas. A 3' bracket just would not work.

I think I will be just moving it to a new spot that is a few feet away to be safe. I hate to go drilling holes, and hope there is enoigh wire already there to relocate it but, the last thing I need is interference with the signal when I am trying to find my way back home again.