Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fifth Try To Buy New (used) Boat

Tough break buddy. But at least you now know that telling us what kind of boat you're looking at is not a jinx....someday we'll fish together :605_thumbs_up:

Could you tell us what kind of boat it was and what the "31" meant? If not I understand.

:) Hi

It was a 42 ft (but listed as a 43 ft) Rybovich . . . built in 1959 . . . the hull number was 31

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got back from Florida last night to a nice steak supper prepared by the Admiral

Here is the link to the yachtworld listing for the Rybovich

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boa...d=1921&url=

The surveyor Henry Pickersgill (a great surveyor . . . he supports the prospective buyer all of the way!) and I spent Sunday crawling into every nook and cranny of the vessel we could get into

We developed two lists of things to examine . . . those that could be easily corrected and a second list of more difficult problems

The easy to correct list included replacing all bilge pumps, the sump, airconditioning and refrigeration, and many more for about $30,000 in parts and probably $10,000 in labour.

The big problem was that we saw some separation of the planks from the frame, but could not confirm if this was for the entire vessel or only in the area near the air conditioning compressors etc. Pounding on the hull the enxt day would have confirmed the extent of the problem, thus the need to remove the vessel from the water.

The pics I took on Sunday were limited to all of the problems we identified, labelled and documented . . . the surveyor had all of the details in his book of survey record

The plan was to do the photo shoot on Monday when we did the sea trial and engine survey . . . this did not happen . . . sorry no pics . . . here is the explanation

On Monday morning we met with boat owner and the broker at the marina and the plan was to remove the vessel from the water . . . as the boat was started to be lifted (maybe raised 2 feet at that point) it suffered some small minor damage to the hull and we could see some discouraging problems with the planking above the water line (could not see below the water line) . . . the owner of the marina immediately placed the vessel back in the water and told us that he would not be responsible for any damage should the owner of the boat decide to procede and lift the boat out of the water

At this point a large crowd had gathered to see the vessel because it was beautiful

The owner at that point wanted to procede to his marina about 30 miles (?) away that had a lift that had four (?) lifting belts instead of the two where we were at . . . this was to distribute the load more evenly . . . another red flag

At this point the surveyor and I moved away from the group to talk about the previous day's problems and what we had just seen. The hard to do list is that I believe (the surveyor agrees but the the owner disagrees) that the vessel needs a plank off of frame restoration . . . the cost could be at double what I would pay for the boat and it could take a year to get the work done

We then met with broker and owner of the boat and told them that I had decided to withdraw my offer . . . I could have gone for a sea trial and told the owner afterwards that I did not want the boat, but I did not . . . I thought that it would have been unethical to do that and make him pay for fuel etc.

So, the search continues

Gus....just a thought (or maybe you've already done this) but why don't you post some parameters on here of exactly what you're looking for? Maybe it will yield a lead that you or your broker haven't seen....or maybe not, but it might make for some interesting conversation anyway.

I will start a new thread tomorrow . . . thanks for the idea

This will be a ReelBoating exclusive :)

Got back from Florida last night to a nice steak supper prepared by the Admiral

Here is the link to the yachtworld listing for the Rybovich

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boa...d=1921&url=

The surveyor Henry Pickersgill (a great surveyor . . . he supports the prospective buyer all of the way!) and I spent Sunday crawling into every nook and cranny of the vessel we could get into

We developed two lists of things to examine . . . those that could be easily corrected and a second list of more difficult problems

The easy to correct list included replacing all bilge pumps, the sump, airconditioning and refrigeration, and many more for about $30,000 in parts and probably $10,000 in labour.

The big problem was that we saw some separation of the planks from the frame, but could not confirm if this was for the entire vessel or only in the area near the air conditioning compressors etc. Pounding on the hull the enxt day would have confirmed the extent of the problem, thus the need to remove the vessel from the water.

The pics I took on Sunday were limited to all of the problems we identified, labelled and documented . . . the surveyor had all of the details in his book of survey record

The plan was to do the photo shoot on Monday when we did the sea trial and engine survey . . . this did not happen . . . sorry no pics . . . here is the explanation

On Monday morning we met with boat owner and the broker at the marina and the plan was to remove the vessel from the water . . . as the boat was started to be lifted (maybe raised 2 feet at that point) it suffered some small minor damage to the hull and we could see some discouraging problems with the planking above the water line (could not see below the water line) . . . the owner of the marina immediately placed the vessel back in the water and told us that he would not be responsible for any damage should the owner of the boat decide to procede and lift the boat out of the water

At this point a large crowd had gathered to see the vessel because it was beautiful

The owner at that point wanted to procede to his marina about 30 miles (?) away that had a lift that had four (?) lifting belts instead of the two where we were at . . . this was to distribute the load more evenly . . . another red flag

At this point the surveyor and I moved away from the group to talk about the previous day's problems and what we had just seen. The hard to do list is that I believe (the surveyor agrees but the the owner disagrees) that the vessel needs a plank off of frame restoration . . . the cost could be at double what I would pay for the boat and it could take a year to get the work done

We then met with broker and owner of the boat and told them that I had decided to withdraw my offer . . . I could have gone for a sea trial and told the owner afterwards that I did not want the boat, but I did not . . . I thought that it would have been unethical to do that and make him pay for fuel etc.

So, the search continues

Wow sorry to hear that but better safe than sorry. Wood boats make me nervous from the simple fact I don't know much about them and what is required to maintain them. I wish you success in the search. I am here in Stuart so if you need any preliminary looks and pics don't hesitate to let me know. would be my pleasure to help out.

Good luck

russ

Gus, just FYI...

I just clicked on the Yachtworld link in your post and got this:

This boat can no longer be found in our database. Please try again. If you continue to get this message, please send the URL of the previous page to webmaster@yachtworld.com along with an explanation. Thank you.

Looks like it might now be off the market?? :504_shrugging:

I don't blame you at all for withdrawing your offer, judging from what you and the surveyor found. Sounds like the boat was just too much of a "project boat".

Good luck with your ongoing search. :605_thumbs_up:

Gus, just FYI...

I just clicked on the Yachtworld link in your post and got this:

This boat can no longer be found in our database. Please try again. If you continue to get this message, please send the URL of the previous page to webmaster@yachtworld.com along with an explanation. Thank you.

Looks like it might now be off the market?? :504_shrugging:

I don't blame you at all for withdrawing your offer, judging from what you and the surveyor found. Sounds like the boat was just too much of a "project boat".

Good luck with your ongoing search. :605_thumbs_up:

Hmmm, wonder if there will be an "offshore incident" on an upcoming weekend?