Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Added Battery Switch

I know...I know...shoulda done this one LONG time ago, but just couldn't find a good, non-conspicuous place to put it...when I swapped new for old battery boxes it hit me!...Why not ON the battery box?...on my boat, it's easily accessed and outta the way...brought the incoming wires as usual, but for the wire from switch to battery I drilled a hole thru the box behind where the switch is mounted, so that worked out nice and clean...

SwimPlatform050.jpg

Could you do us a favor and take a pic from the inside of the box? I'd be interested in that.

I'd love the hear from the 12 volt experts on here (if any) about the heat generated (if any) inside a switch and if the box is at risk of melting.

But, yes, very innovative.

In fact, maybe innovative enough that you should delete this thread and think about a patent!

Thanks Guys...I actually already have a patent atty and two patents for my trouble...from inside the box you'll see typical aircraft style hex-nuts over large fender washers...not tightened down too tightly...between box and battery is heavy-duty foam pad to keep the fasteners from diggin' into the battery... if I were to do it again, I might consider T-Nuts instead thru a 1/4" piece of Starboard or something...:1992_beer_cheer:

I have my switch outside the engine and battery compartment in a separate space, thinking that if I ever have an emergency and have to kill the electricity, I don't have to reach into the problem area. Kind of the same idea of keeping a fire extinguisher near the place you might have to use it, but not too close.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Does that switch just control your accessories, or is the camera angle hiding the cables to the motor?

Inquiring mind wants to know. Thanks!

Kamper...sorry so long on the reply...

It controls the main cables to the motor and all accessories...bilge pump is on another battery...hope that satisfies an inquiring mind...