Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Key switch

I just mounted a1989 OMC Sea Dive 225 outboard Looper motor. Motor was run before purchase by key off the boat thru the power cable. I purchased a pre90's Evinrude controller with power harness. Both 8 pin plugs match by color code. Now the engine will start but once I let the key go to run position it stays in choke mode. But when I turn key to off position the motor purrs like a kitten. So now I have no off position to shut off motor. This controller is not equipped with a kill switch lanyard. This is something I'll need to install. So before I start ripping it apart does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you 

• 6 years later...

The fact that the engine runs in choke mode when you release the key suggests that there might be a problem with the key switch or the wiring to the key switch.

Double-check all the wiring connections between the controller and the outboard motor. Make sure all wires are securely connected, and there are no loose or damaged wires.

The issue might also be with the key switch itself. Inspect the key switch for any signs of damage or wear. You might need to replace the key switch if it's faulty.

Did you ensure that the pre-90's Evinrude controller is compatible with your 1989 OMC Sea Dive 225 outboard Looper motor?  Sometimes, compatibility issues can cause control problems.

Perhaps check the choke mechanism on the outboard motor itself. Make sure it's not stuck or malfunctioning, causing the engine to stay in choke mode.

Electrical issues in boats are always tricky to diagnose and resolve. and proper functionality.

Good luck