Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

The shine is off the dime

The shine is off the dime 
For more than 20 years every winter we have taken a camping trip to our favorite spot in Magdalena Bay.  During the winter north winds are relentless on the East Cape where we live making conditions unfavorable for fishing.  Mag offers miles of mangroves where the water is calm and the bite has always been off the hook.  Our trip has always been planned on an extreme tide because clamming for chocolate clams when the tide is out has been very fruitful.  Another bonus to our almost secret spot aside from being able to pull our rigs right to the waters edge is a primitive commercial shrimp camp.  Pangeros drag their nets all night and we have always been able to load up on jumbo shrimp at a not so jumbo price.

This year's trip started as always.  After a few days of preparation and packing we departed Buena Vista and headed north through La Paz toward Ciudad Constitution.  Arriving at our turn off Hwy 1 we headed down the 20 miles of washboard dirt road.  This year the road wasn't as bad as some years but we have seen it a lot better.  I always watch my odometer with anticipation waiting for it to be over.  Along the way I'm always concerned another camper will be in our spot.  Amazingly enough we have never had any company other than our group and this year was no exception.

Upon arrival the place looked the same as always and we proceeded to set up camp.  My buddy John helped me get our inflatable off my trailer and I helped him with his aluminum boat so we could go fishing at first light while the tide was up.

Mag has always been a very special place.  Spectacular sunsets, bird life, sea life sights, listening to the coyotes and just sitting around our camp fire can be mesmerizing.

In the evening and again in the morning John and I (in fun) were razzing each other about where we would fish and who would do the best.  The joke is that fishing has always been so good it hasn't made a difference where we went the bite was always WFO for spotted bay bass and grouper with a few halibut in the mix.  Four inch rubber twin tails has been our bait of choice but I think a hot dog would work.

I caught John not paying attention and was able to slip a banana in his boat and off we went.  Jen and I found fishing tougher than ever before but finally found a spot where we were able to bag several grouper.  Returning to camp we found that John and Lorraine were not as fortunate and found nothing but tough fishing.  We laughed that it must have been the hex of the banana and I cleaned our catch and got ready to go clamming.

I have always tried to bargain with the shrimpers telling them for a good price I would buy more.  Their reply has always been how many hundreds of pounds do you want?  This was the first time we weren't able to buy jumbo shrimp.   It was explained that all they were getting were mediums.  I hate to be a snob but cleaning and dealing with small shrimp is a major pain after being spoiled by the grande model.

Clamming was as easy as always.  When the tide is out we just walk on the sand and wait for a clam to squirt and then dig it up.  It doesn't take long to fill a 5 gallon pail and we have all we need.  There is nothing like fresh clams and we prepare them every way imaginable.  It was a several day feast of clams along with fresh fish but the jumbos were missing.

The following morning preparing to fish I noticed the fuel tank was missing from my boat.  I told Jen not to say anything figuring John was getting back at me for the banana trick.  My plan was to mix a little oil in a fuel can and head out like nothing happened.  I was not paying attention going about my business when things started to go south.  Jen returned reporting the fuel tank from John's boat was also missing along with his tackle box and a few other items.

Now the shine was off the dime.  After 20 some years of never having a concern our camp was infiltrated in the middle of the night and some of our personal property was taken.  It was nothing of great value but the principle that it happened kind of put a crimp on our vacation.  Some reading this will bad mouth Mexico but I think it is just a sign of the times and it could and does happen everywhere.  I still feel much safer here than in most places and will return to our hideaway to see if the jumbos have returned and the fishing has improved.

117161.JPG 
Nothing like camping at the waters edge

117162.JPG 
Chocolate clams were abundant

117163.JPG 
Yum, yum

117164.JPG 
Jen managed to sneak out a couple of flatties

117165.JPG 
Not this year

117166.JPG 
Always prolific bird life

117167.JPG 
You've got mail!  What a guy will do to get a signal.  That is my cell phone in a plastic bag on the end of the fishing rod.  The extra altitude is just what it took.

117168.JPG 
Some guys just don't listen.  I told him the bite was better on high tide

117169.JPG 
High tide just after sunrise

1171610.JPG 
Sunsets like this will keep me coming back

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing

US cell 310 308 5841

• 3 weeks later...