Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

East Cape - Wanted!

East Cape - Wanted!

Just when I thought the weeks of outstanding weather the East Cape has been experiencing couldn't get any better it has. Tropical disturbance Eleven_E passed by in the Pacific early last week pushing up cooler water and lowering humidity. While we didn't receive any harsh weather from the storm overnight sea temps dropped 5 degrees and went from an ugly greenish to beautiful blue.
The drop in temperature perked up our billfish bite which was starting to fade. Some boats have still found it tough but others have had constant action with sailfish, striped and blue marlin. I have seen a few dorado flags this week but word has it they are all dinks. I know El Regalo did bag a nice 40lbs fish.
Yellowfin tuna continue to play hardball. Fleet boats have been traveling 40 miles and more in every direction trying to satisfy anglers with tuna fever. Porpoise schools offshore have been hard to locate and many are not holding tuna. To the south, below Frailes drifting high spots has been the best bet but a slow pick. Some days the fish will bite better than others. At best it is not steady action. Bait of choice has been dead sardines which are sometimes not available We had one group bring 40 pounds of frozen squid. I thought it would be a bonanza but found the tuna to be more finicky than my cat. Most fish have been 30 to 40 pound grade. It has taken light fluorocarbon and small hooks to get bit. That has made long battles and lost fish for anglers without the patience or skill.
823151.jpg
WANTED!
823152.jpg
Blue marlin release
823153.jpg
Sailfish putting on a show
823154.jpg
Ben Lazar playing deck hand. He and his buddies found it a little tough but made the most of it.
823155.jpg
Squid in the hood. We scooped this out of the water still alive after a sailfish spit it up.
823156.jpg
Nice grade tuna
823157.jpg
Yo-yoing a diamond jig paid off
823158.jpg
Not as bad as it looks. The rain has been welcome and it hasn't been wind related
Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
US cell 310 308 5841