Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fair Price For Bottom Painting?

I have a 23' Sea Hunt getting bottom paint for the first time next Wednesday. Power washing, sanding, primer and paint is 1200.00. I was told after the initial painting the cost would cut in half for future painting. I just want to know if this price sounds fair. It is being done in the Carolina Beach, NC area.

Brian

I have a 23' Sea Hunt getting bottom paint for the first time next Wednesday. Power washing, sanding, primer and paint is 1200.00. I was told after the initial painting the cost would cut in half for future painting. I just want to know if this price sounds fair. It is being done in the Carolina Beach, NC area.

Brian

sounds very high. in Fl that would be about half that the fist time and about half again the second time unless their paint has gold flakes in it.

They are high. Quite high. Even the $20 number for a repaint is high unless it's a very large boat.

$20 a foot for a first paint is fair. Although remember this is the busy season and you're late getting in line.

Also be aware that sanding gel coat bottoms can sometimes void the blister warranty. Go to the Interlux web site and read some of the info there. Kind of easy to understand when you sand off the expensive (but thin) vinylester layer.

$12 a foot for a repaint is about right.

http://www.boatkeepers.biz/index_files/bottompainting.htm

You don't say, but if this was a new boat, always try to get the dealer to throw in the bottom paint in the deal. At worst, get them to throw in the labor and pay for the paint.

You don't say, but if this was a new boat, always try to get the dealer to throw in the bottom paint in the deal. At worst, get them to throw in the labor and pay for the paint.

I didn't keep it the water last year and didn't plan on it in the future. It just kind of "happened". I will check with some other places in the area.

Thanks

Brian