Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

East Cape - Ruined

East Cape - Ruined

East Cape has experienced the longest stretch of gorgeous weather as I can ever remember. Seas have been calm and it appears there is no end in sight.
Fishing has been red hot for anglers targeting billfish or roosters. Striped marlin, blue marlin and sailfish are all mixed in the same areas and on the rampage. Most of the fleet boats have been releasing between 3 and 6 fish a day having many more events. We had more than a half dozen anglers land their first billfish this week. They are ruined if they think it will always be this easy.
Roosterfish have also been cooperative. It has not been big numbers but it has been trophy sized fish. Anglers putting in the time are being rewarded.
For those looking to fill coolers it has been frustrating. Porpoise schools have been easy to find but tuna just don't want to bite. Dorado have also been absent. Looking at all the dorado flags flying every afternoon one might think it is a good bite. The truth be known the flying flags are larger than most of the fish being taken.
I want to share an interesting experience a friend told me about. He was fishing a local billfish tournament when it happen. David I hope I got this right and that you don't mind that I am sharing it.
David's boat doesn't have a place to troll a center rod but does have a rod storage rack in the center. With that he decided to drag a ballyhoo from that rack with the reel in freespool using a rubber band to hold the line. The idea was that if the rod got bit there will be time to grab it and set the hook. Well, another rod got bit and he was fighting a marlin when he heard this loud crash. Looking around he found the rod rack laying on the deck and the baited rod missing. Now, looking behind the boat the tip of his missing rod could be seen bobbing. As luck would have it the outfit got tangled in another line he had in the water. Not only did he get his rod back the fish that ate the ballyhoo was still on. All the line had paid off the reel because he forgot to put on the clicker and never saw the bite. It was the fifth billfish David landed that day and he won the tournament. Not only did he win, he got his gear back and he won a new Accurate Dauntless 600. I'd say it is time to head for Vegas.
7115.jpg
Billfish are the name of the game right now
71151.jpg
Little Andres working hard
71152.jpg
Wow, big fish for a little kid
71153.jpg
8 year old Vern the 5th having the time of his life with Vern the 3rd
71154.jpg
Lots of blue marlin in the house
71155.jpg
Putting that Accurate to the test