Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Steeples Report Sat 4/25/09

Left Holden Beach Marina about 6 AM on David Mabe's 'Bohemian Girl' an older Mako 233. It was a bit sporty going out for a small boat, the weather man lied again. Fortunately it settled down later in the day. I wanted to try out the new DFA or planer rod I had made by L&M Custom Rods in Wilmington, NC. We fished in the general vacinity of Steeples number two but out a ways.

It didn't take long for the the new rod to lose its virginity :D . A 28 lb wahoo hit the blue/black purple head Islander/med ballyhoo and went into the box. A little later we got another 28 lb wahoo (twins :) ) on a different rod with a purple/black chrome head Islander. It got real slow for the next couple hours. Finally, around 1 PM the planer rod went of again this time with David on the rod and a little while later a 41 lb wahoo goes in the box. We tried a bit longer out there but had one more short strike and decided to move near the FPT. Piddled around the tower for awhile. I tied jigging with the butterfly jigs with no success while David and Terry caught mostly undersized BSB's and gray snappers along with the usual bottom trash. Headed back in and got back to the dock about 6 PM. We each caught one wahoo so all in all a decent day and first trip of the season for me. I just finished putting them up with the food saver bout an hour or so ago and had some off the grill.

DSC00126.jpg

Here's one more pic with me on the left and David on the right.

DSC00129.jpg