Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ok Parents: What Would U Do?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nevermade a threat that I couldn't back up. I left the middle one at the grocery store one afternoon. Told him don't wonder off, he did. Finish my shopping, oldest, youngest were right there, middle boy no where to be found. Went out loaded groceries, and actually moved the car to a different area of the parking lot. Sat and watched the door, less than 5 minutes go by middle boy appears at the door ambles across the lot. You could see the anxiety in his eyes when he realised the car was gone. I let him worry and wonder around until he started for the door, drove over and intercepted him before he got there. Sure was a happy kid when he got in the car.

My father had magic arms. Three kids in the back seat, myself, older sister, youger brother. Sis stationed in the middle to keep the brothers apart, of course my much older sister did not want to be "touched" by the grubbie boys. She would sit there hollering "don't touch me". The boys would fiegn "touching" her, until she would start hollering "They're touching me". This would be my brother and I's favorite activity to livin up the trip. Miles and miles until my sister would be reduced to snivelling. OR- until the oldman would have enough. It was always hard to gauge Pop, his actions and reactions had a way of being sudden and most dramatic. Unlike mom he never threatened or warned. When he went off it was usually with dire results for some one or everyone. But I digress. Magic arms- my pop could clean out the entire back seat of a '63 Pontiac Bonneville without once taking his foot off the accellerator or turning around. It was like he had an extra joint in his arm that not only allowed it to bend in excess of a normal arm, but it could also extend to th far reaches of corners and floorboards. It didn't get tired either it would spin, snap, wack until we were all begging for mercy.

The mom in question, evidently she thought she had to take the action to teach the brats a lesson. Who am I to judge.

WARNING: My content is GRAPHIC and can be VERY DISTURBING to some readers!

I know the mother's pain as I have 18 and 16 year old daughters and on many occasions wanted to stop and prove a point while driving but would NEVER make them get out and walk home. Too many crazies out there... God forbid something happens to one of them and I could never have lived with myself knowing something went afoul and it was all because I didn't have the PATIENCE to figure out a better way to drive home my point...

Did you ever read about Paul Bernardo & his wife Karla Homolka............

Leslie Mahaffy was a troubled youngster. Her strong, independent personality seemed to be at the root of the problem, which manifested itself in ignoring her curfews, engaging in promiscuous sex, skipping school and even shoplifting. Her parents responded by getting tough on Leslie when she broke the rules.

On Friday, June 14, 1991, Leslie went out for the evening with her friends and stayed out well past her curfew. At 2 A.M., she found herself locked out of her house. She called her girlfriend to ask her if she could spend the night with her, but the girlfriend didn't think that her mother would allow it at that hour. Leslie told her girlfriend that she was going back home to wake up her parents.

Leslie had actually gone back to her home to see if there was any way to get in without waking her parents. With the worst possible luck imaginable, she encountered Paul Bernardo who was prowling around the neighborhood looking for license plates to steal.

He pulled a knife on Leslie Mahaffy and forced her to go in his car.

Paul took his catch home. While Karla slept, he began to videotape the fourteen-year-old Leslie naked and blindfolded. When Karla woke up, she was very angry that Paul had used their best champagne glasses to entertain his new toy. Finally, Karla came around and started being the obedient wife that Paul demanded.

Paul gave Karla elaborate instructions on how to make love to Leslie. It was the voice of a director in an important film. Every moment had to be just perfect for the videotape he was making. After the prelude with Karla, Paul went in for the rough stuff, while his wife held the camera. The brute force of his ###### penetration caused Leslie to scream in pain. The rough stuff escalated and Leslie died.

On the evening June 29, 1991, a man and his wife were canoeing on Lake Gibson when they came across a concrete block with some pieces of animal flesh encased in it. Later, he went back to the spot and, with the help of a fisherman, pulled out the concrete block and looked at it closely. Inside the block was the calf and foot of a young woman.

Soon, the place was alive with cops, who found a total of five concrete blocks that had been dumped there in the shallow water. Police theorized that whoever dumped this body in Lake Gibson was not familiar with the area or he would have dumped the concrete blocks over the bridge where the deep water may have kept them a secret forever.

Not long afterwards, the torso of a young woman was found in the water. The body parts that had been found in the concrete block had been cut from her torso with a power saw. Leslie's distinctive braces provided the clues to her identification.

I agree, some lessons are learnt the hard way.................just exactly who is learning the hard way is only based on the outcome. Leslie did not have to suffer the fate she did if her mom knew how to handle things differently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am lucky. I never reached the point where the problem escalated much over a warning. Had one carseat issue that was resolved by stopping the car and a quick spank. But without knowing what this lady had tried before, I really couldn't judge what she did. You would hope that if she is an attorney she is reasonably intelligent and tried other approaches first. It would be interesting to see if the girls ever fight in the car again.

My neice has two boys that were 5 and 3 at the time. The oldest is very proper and well behaved. The younger one is a rascal. One day the younger one would not keep his car seat buckled. My neice knew she would soon be passing the local police station so she warned him that if he did it again she would turn him over to the police. Sure enough he did so she pulled into the station. The older one pleaded for her not to send his brother to jail while the younger one started getting nervous. She went inside and explained the situation to an officer and asked him to follow her to the car and talk to the boys. As the officer opened the door the older one points to his little brother and says "it was him!". Lesson learned. Buckle your belt and watch out for your brother.

Problem is it has to start before they are 10 and 12. All three of mine knew at less than 1/2 that age that crossing dad or mom meant something they did not want. The ground rules and discipline have too be laid down early and they have to be taught cause and effect and consequence from the get go. Just go in the local Wal-Mart or any fast food restaurant and you can see that parenting is non existent.