Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Am I Crazy?

Or just going to blow myself and my boat up?

OK, so here's my thought. My boat is suffering from the dreaded clogged VST filter which I have to get fixed. So I have been thinking about my fuel and grunge in the tank. I was wondering about a way to filter the fuel and get what I can cleaned out.

What if I connected a line to the outlet on my fuel filter (Yamaha 10 micron) to a universal fuel pump that I already have and then a hose back into the fuel filler. In concept the fuel would recirculate through the filter and back into the tank just like water in an aquarium (where I got the idea). I could let it run for awhile and then change filters.

Isn't this basically what fuel polishers do?

Heres how I have been doing it for years.

Hope it helps you just need a good fuel pump .

I use a high volume explosion proof electric fuel pump (omc primer pump) and run the fuel through a waterseporator. I usually run the tank almost empty and just keep pouring the 5 gal back in at least 4 times checking the filter each time. I do this every 2 years and you wouldn't believe the crap that you pick up. Install a new filter and your ready for the new motor.

You might try filtering it through you 10 micron filter for a round and then put on a 2 micron filter and run it through again just to make sure. I've decided not to run a 2 micron with my Yamaha since it's not reccommended and my engine is under warranty. But what your doing doesn't involve the engine so you could add a little measure of filtering by doing a second round with a finer particulate pulled out. Good luck with it, I've already changed out a high pressure pump because of the dreaded VST issues so I feel your pain.