Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

26 Regulator Vs 26 Or 28 Southport

Hi All

I had a 2000 26 Regulator with twin 200 hpdi's. I loved the boat and was abosolutely impressed with how she handled in rough seas. She also looked great and received many compliments.Looking for a used boat...either another 26 Regulator or 26 or 28 Southport. The only problem I had with the Regulator was my wife was afraid of falling out because of the depth of the side rails. It seems Southport has more depth and doesn't have the step. Does anyone have experience with this.

Thanks

Hi All

I had a 2000 26 Regulator with twin 200 hpdi's. I loved the boat and was abosolutely impressed with how she handled in rough seas. She also looked great and received many compliments.Looking for a used boat...either another 26 Regulator or 26 or 28 Southport. The only problem I had with the Regulator was my wife was afraid of falling out because of the depth of the side rails. It seems Southport has more depth and doesn't have the step. Does anyone have experience with this.

Thanks

I'd ride both.

I might be biased, but I'd be looking real hard at the Southport 28. But that could be a coincidence ...

;-)

I'd ride both.

I might be biased, but I'd be looking real hard at the Southport 28. But that could be a coincidence ...

;-)

I sure would like to have that Southport. I hate the steps in a lot of boats. Every time I get in one I trip once or twice before I get used to it. I hear the Southport is more stable at rest, too.

I had a 26' Regulator for several years and was very satisified and was looking to upgrade to another Regulator with forward seating to satisfy the Admiral.. until we went to the boat shows and took a close look at the Southport. I bought a new 07 26' with Yahama 250 FS. I fish offsore Oregon Inlet, NC and am very happy withh all aspects of the boat. The extra foot of beam does not hurt the ride and infact I think the ride in a head sea is better and softer. My only regret is that I did not buy the 28' Southport...Go for it, if you can..

Regards,

dw

• 2 weeks later...

I researched CC's in the 26'-28' range for over two years. Was all set to pull the trigger on a 26' Regulator when I happened to see the Southports across the aisle at a show. Regulator is the standard in that class that all the other boat companies shoot for. But the bar was raised a bit when I sea trialed the Southport and the Regulator on the same day.

No bow rise. More stable at drift. Remains on plane at 17MPH. Designed specifically for the added weight of the four strokes. Fit and finish is better. No step in the deck. And yes, the gunnel height up front on the Regulator is way too low.

I am going on my fourth season with the 28' Southport, and I could not be more pleased. Great company to work with. Quality product. Great lines.

If you can swing it, the 28 has it all over the 26. And to me, the forward seating in both the Southport and the Regulator FS is useless for anything but cocktail cruising. You can't sit in the bow while fishing with your back to the water. On the 28 you can stretch out on that coffin box while fishing, or on a good day offshore riding up front is not out of the question. PM me if you need more details.