Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Repower or rebuild

I own a 1992 Boston Whaler 23 walkaround with twin 200 Yamaha 2 strokes. The engines are original with the boat. My mechanic thinks I have reached the point where I have to consider my options. He does not believe the engines are worth rebuilding and that I should consider 4 strokes,most likely in the 150 HP range. I have thought about rebuilding,buying a used set , or new,again trying to decide whether or not to go with 2 strokes or 4 strokes. My engines are mounted on the Whaler Drive bracket and I am not sure it would hold the 4 strokes. I have never run the boat hard and cruise 26 knots at 3500 RPM. My current fuel burn is 14-15 gallons an hour. My mechanic is a Honda and Yamaha dealer. I almost fell over when I looked at the prices for 4 strokes. Does anyone have any suggestions out there ? Thanks.

I'm in kind of the same situation with twin 93 200 2 strokes, however mine are still running good. The new Yamaha 200s are only a few pounds heavier but they cost a fortune! My plan is get a used pair of 200 hpdi's, it is a very good motor by all accounts and weighs about the same as the old 2-stokes. Plus you can find a good pair for 10k and keep your same rigging and controls. There is no way I can justify a new 4-stroke.

I couldn't believe the retail on new 4 strokes. I looked at getting a used set of HPDI's too. Here where I live our boating season runs five months give or take. I usually launch in April and haul in November. Last year we had a potential hurricane hit so I hauled in early October. Given the nature of my work I only get to put about fifty to seventy hours on my boat. If I lived where you are I am sure I would be using the boat a lot more. I had a Honda 200 on my last boat and the yearly upkeep was very expensive. My wife and I have tossed around the idea of selling and getting something newer rather than throwing another thirty thousand into our current boat. I love my Whaler,but just can't justify the money for new motors.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys one option on your repowers is to look at the small block Evinrude e-tec 200's.They are much lighter,very fuel efficient,oil efficient and just great engines.

i have the heavier 200HO engines on my 2596 Hydra Sport and have over 2500 hrs on the engines.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not too familiar with the e-tec. I had a friend that had them for one season after which he sold the boat. He seemed to like them. How are they in terms of cost in comparison with Yamaha and Honda ?

the e-tec is usually cheaper than the Yamaha and not sure on the the Honda .