A Boating Community With a Fishing Problem!

Photo

Poor VHF Transmission Great reception - need advise

Poor VHF Transmission

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andrewhladek

andrewhladek

Reel New Member

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

I have a 3-4 year old VHF radio and just replaced the 8' antenna as I was having poor transmission quality. This did not help. Example - clear line of sight 6 miles resulted in very static transmission. I am told that I am very clear within a mile or so. I tried Hi and Low no help. The reception is much better with the new antenna - both NOAA weather and regular listening to Ch 9 or 16. The boat is a Robalo 22' WA cuddy - radio mounted in storage compartment next to the helm. Antenna mounted outside that area, I left 3' of looped and tied cable between the antenna and radio as instructed. There are minimal wires in the area.

Before I drop $ on another radio - I wanted to make sure I did not miss anything or see if there is something else I should do.

#2 David Kuhlmann

David Kuhlmann

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Walleye Fishing<br />Bass Fishing<br />Deer Hunting<br />Duck Hunting<br />Goose Hunting

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

There is probably a stray wire in your coax cable on the connector. I would redo that connection and pay attention to the strands to make sure you don't get a stray and make sure that all is tight and that you use solder to make sure that you have complete filling of the center portion of the connector.
David Kuhlmann
Central Iowa
Walleye Fishing Love Lake Erie
2007 Lowe FM 185
2007 Mercury Verado 150
MotorGuide Wireless 75lb
Lowrance 520C
Tempest 19"

#3 POPEYE

POPEYE

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

There is probably a stray wire in your coax cable on the connector. I would redo that connection and pay attention to the strands to make sure you don't get a stray and make sure that all is tight and that you use solder to make sure that you have complete filling of the center portion of the connector.

Yeah, thats what I would start at too.
I only like what I like.

#4 andrewhladek

andrewhladek

Reel New Member

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thanks David - further reading lead me to that path too. I also found out that I can use my ohm meter to make sure all is good. Tight lines....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

What's New On ReelBoating?

New! ReelBoating Links