Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

No More Alcohol on Peanut Island, But Where Does PI Begin?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/will-a-new-alcohol-ban-tame-the-boats-2360155.html?876

This story still doesn't answer the question: What constitutes land in terms of the drinking law? If my feet are wet, am I off the island?

The law should be consistent, regardless of whether I am a "jerk". Can I only come so many feet from the shore with a drink? What is the actual shore (because it changes greatly with the tides)? Is ankle, knee or waist deep drinking lawful?

Who is going to deal with the huge amount of trash that gets dumped on the sandbar (to later float away or cut people walking in the water) by the same irresponsible drinkers who caused this problem in the first place (the young people and under-age partiers)? More people will now stay out in the water and party, make a mess with their grills and trash.

Say goodbye to the recently improved starfish and conch populations.

I usually bring a trash bag and fill it with other persons' cans and bottles when I go to the sandbar. Will I need three bags now?

This is yet another Palm Beach County law (like the double-taxation boat ramp fee) that was not in any way thought out. The police said they needed help. All they had to do was enforce the legal-age drinking and public intoxication laws, as well as common boating regulations, and the problem would have been solved.

• 1 month later...

Another island is just north of Peanut. It is called Munyon but is not used as much and has a pretty rocky shore. It's part of McArthur Beach State Park.

The exact spot where Peanut Island starts needs to be written into the law and disseminated to the public before people are arrested due to poor communication and misunderstanding.

The bottom line here is that the law targets the wrong people - the mostly under control island users (people who take the water taxis there). Most of the out-of-control people are the generally young boaters who use the sandbar just off the island. That's where most of the drunkenness occurs. Drinking there is still allowed.