A Boating Community With a Fishing Problem!

Photo

Rebuild or buy new 4strokes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JLimb

JLimb

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hi,
I own a 1992 Boston Whaler walk around with twin 1992 Yamaha 200HP 2strokes. These engines have reached the point where I either need to have them rebuilt,buy a used set ,or bite the bullet and get 4strokes. These engines have been pretty good overall. I burn about 14 gallons an hour at a 26 knot cruise running around 3500RPM. I don't know what it will cost to rebuild these engines. I know a new set of 4strokes will set me back about twenty five thousand or so. That is a lot of fuel. Anyone out there have an idea what it costs to rebuild ? Thanks.

#2 David Kuhlmann

David Kuhlmann

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Walleye Fishing<br />Bass Fishing<br />Deer Hunting<br />Duck Hunting<br />Goose Hunting

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I think if you look at the new 4 strokes as a how much fuel stand point you won't buy them. Looking at what you have to rebuild properly depending on what they need would probably cost you around and I'm guessing here $5-7500. You could also look into a pair of later model gently used outboards for the $8-10,000 range and might actually be money ahead especially since you would have outboards around 10-15 years newer or more. Might want to check around and see what is available used first. There are always some well taken care of pairs on THaT other site for sale with good prices from members that have been there a long time.
David Kuhlmann
Central Iowa
Walleye Fishing Love Lake Erie
2007 Lowe FM 185
2007 Mercury Verado 150
MotorGuide Wireless 75lb
Lowrance 520C
Tempest 19"

#3 Mint Buster

Mint Buster

Not Telling

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

Jes remember those (2) 4 strokes are going to weight more than those 2 strokes.

"JoJo has more problems than a Calculus Book".........................Conchy Joe

"I am a sock and sandal wearing flaming libtard".......................Mod 6

2 CRANES WERE WORKING ON EASTER SUNDAY BUT THE DELI NEXT DOOR WAS CLOSED............... LiL Feller

#4 David Kuhlmann

David Kuhlmann

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Walleye Fishing<br />Bass Fishing<br />Deer Hunting<br />Duck Hunting<br />Goose Hunting

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Very true on weighing more. One other thing that year Yamaha was a bullet proof basic 2 stroke and more than likely would be fine rebuilding. Now this is the big issue is what is considered rebuild? Everyone has a different opinion. Sure hone out cyl's, new rings, brngs, new reeds and gasket set. Overhaul carbs, new plugs, water pump complete with housing. Replace any wear items, and change all fluids and lubricants, filters. One other thing I might do is to replace all the fuel lines. This could be done for a reasonable price just check around and check some references better yet see if you can find someone to recommend you to a LOCAL rebuilder.

There are some bad ones out there so best to check with BBB and especially Here before you commit to having your motors done with them. In all honesty this is probably the way that I would go after sitting on it over night.
David Kuhlmann
Central Iowa
Walleye Fishing Love Lake Erie
2007 Lowe FM 185
2007 Mercury Verado 150
MotorGuide Wireless 75lb
Lowrance 520C
Tempest 19"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

What's New On ReelBoating?

New! ReelBoating Links