Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Thinking of buying a Bayliner 275

I'd look into something else. They are chopper gun boats, easy entry price but not well built, well laid out, well appointed. Keep looking...

CMP

Chopper gun boat? Says who? It's built right alongside the Sea Rays and has been for a while. And, by the way, the first thing you see hanging at the head of the layup line in every boat builder I have ever visited is a chopper gun.

Your remark tells me you have not been in a build facility or you wouldn't describe the process in that manner.

The "skin coat" is applied to the gelcoat, which is the first layer into the mold, with the chopper gun.

Bayliner is as good a boat as any; does it lack gingerbread like a Sea Ray has? Sure; but it shares windshields, cabin applications, hardware and engines and drives with the very same Sea Ray and both are owned by Brunswick. Your chopper gun story is a worn out old wives tale used in the eighties by salespeople who had no clue how to sell against a value based builder--hence the terminology of "chopper gun boat"

Erie, you're right in one respect in that I have not been in a bilgeliner factory in some years, 2002, in fact and then, they were still chopper gun boats with the exception of the first and last layers. They were poorly-built, poorly-equipped, low-end production boats and, given their low price point even today, are no more than introduction boats at best. You ASSume that I think that's a bad thing, but I do not. If you understand what you are buying, great, go for it. The OP is talking about a 2005 boat. IMO, he'd merely be inheriting someone else's end-of-life boat problems. They were and still are a low-end product. If that bothers you, well, that's life...

CMP

Erie, you're right in one respect in that I have not been in a bilgeliner factory in some years, 2002, in fact and then, they were still chopper gun boats with the exception of the first and last layers. They were poorly-built, poorly-equipped, low-end production boats and, given their low price point even today, are no more than introduction boats at best. You ASSume that I think that's a bad thing, but I do not. If you understand what you are buying, great, go for it. The OP is talking about a 2005 boat. IMO, he'd merely be inheriting someone else's end-of-life boat problems. They were and still are a low-end product. If that bothers you, well, that's life...

CMP

I can see that you are certain of yourself so I'll allow you to remain that way. Bilgeliner? ASSume? cute.